Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Last week i downloaded the latest copy of Fedora and installed it on my HP Compaq 6710s laptop... as far as i know Fedora is the only distro that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Firefox, MP3, KDE+Compiz, and Wireless

Hi,

Last week i downloaded the latest copy of Fedora and installed it on my HP Compaq 6710s laptop... as far as i know Fedora is the only distro that works and that i've been able to get working so far.

So i have a fresh install and i've practically never used linux before... ethernet works but how do i use my wireless? what do i do to get MP3s to play?

Fedora (9 i think i have) came with a firefox beta so i downloaded Firefox-3.0.1.tar.b2 to upgrade the beta to a final from the mozilla website... but had no idea how to install this... i figured out it was an archive and i extracted it but i was lost from there. Running the software updater fixed this but i'd still like to know how to do it manually for in future if i need to

I tried to go to youtube but i need flash... so i got flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm... how do i install this to my system?

Sorry for all the questions but i'm really excited about having a dedicated linux machine at last and just can't wait to get everything running smoothly so i can learn the way of the penguin

EDIT: Oh i forgot to ask... Fedora9 comes with gnome by default right? can my laptop work with KDE4 and Compiz? Maybe i need to install an official driver instead of using the fedora default? how do i go about this? thanks

Thanks!

Regards, Mortagen
    Last edited by mortagen; 10-01-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask about KDE and Compiz

These questions have all been answered many times over, so I'll just skim over them.

- to get access to a whole lot of extra stuff, including US-patent tied music codecs, go to http://rpm.livna.org and follow the instructions for making their repository available to your system.

- Install yumex or kyum and use it to browse the available packages, you can install what you want then. You can use either to search for MP3 or WMA to find players that you like.

- Go to the Adobe website and add their repository, use that repository to install flash, not the rpm you downloaded.

- Once your system is connected to the internet, do a 'yum update' to bring in all the latest changes and bugfixes, including a move to the release version of FF3 (what I mean is dont use the tar file you downloaded, do it through the package manager).

- Take a read through the 'yum' man page to find out a little bit about using yum to keep your system up to date and to install new programs and applications.

- If your wireless isn't working, then find out what chipset is on your wireless card and ask for specific help on the forum.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi Roxoff,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I wish your post was a little more newbie friendly though so i don't have to google what a respitory is or how to do a yum update etc. How do i use a respitory once i obtain one and what is it!? is rpm bad?

Thanks..

EDIT: i got that livna Fed9 rpm and executed it... it started downloading something i think... and is now warning me about malicious software which can damage or cause harm to my machine due to missing GPG signature?

EDIT: I clicked force install to continue anyway and now it says "Dependency resolution failed" a dependency could not be found a package could not be found that allows the task to complete. more information is available in the detailed report... wtf?

EDIT: These messages keep popping up when i'm using the software updater on Fed9 and won't stop... why does linux hate me so much? so many probs everytime i try to learn

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo yum check-update
    sudo yum update
    This will update ALL your programs,including Firefox, to their latest versions.

There is a great audio/video player(also available in windows), called vlc. It will play almost everything you can find.To install it:
    Code:
    sudo yum install vlc
    To install flash from your rpm type:
    Code:
    rpm -i flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm
    Generally, using repositories to install programs is A LOT BETTER than the above rpm -i.But since adobe repository only has flash, i guess it is not a real advantage over rpm -i.Yum uses rpm but find it and downloads it from the internet for you, which is a life-saver, since you don't need to know where to download your program from-just its name.

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks i'll try that once my laptop cools down... my room is freezing cold yet when i put my hand infront of my laptop exhaust fan it literally just about burns me my laptop gets that hot... is linux trying to melt my laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by mortagen View Post
    Ok thanks i'll try that once my laptop cools down... my room is freezing cold yet when i put my hand infront of my laptop exhaust fan it literally just about burns me my laptop gets that hot... is linux trying to melt my laptop?
    I've never had cooling issues with a laptop and Linux, but just out of curiosity, what kind of laptop do you have? You can check the temperature with the GNOME Sensors Applet.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have a HP Compaq 6710s and i don't think i have that program sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mortagen View Post
    I have a HP Compaq 6710s and i don't think i have that program sorry.
    I was trying to make the point that if you don't already have it, you can download it from the link above.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Sorry i didn't see the link... i have bad eyes and it's making this linux stuff harder