Find the answer to your Linux question:
Do I just run the 'Software Updater' and all the updates it grabs brings me up to 5.2? I have 5.1 cds and didnt know if it was worth my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I update Redhat Workstation 5.1 to 5.2?

Do I just run the 'Software Updater' and all the updates it grabs brings me up to 5.2? I have 5.1 cds and didnt know if it was worth my time to get workstation 5.2 cds, or just do updates and its the same thing?

The best way to do it would probably to get the CD's and go for the "Upgrade" option. 5.2 may have certain packages and libs that aren't included in the updates. Also, think of possible dependency resolution and things of that nature.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Enthusiast
    Updating RHEL5.1 to 5.2 isn't changing things dramatically.
    Using "yum update" would do the trick easily and conviniently

The changes between Fedora 8 en 9 are a bigger problem (there I'd go for the upgrade option using the DVD) because of the possibility that things have changed radically.

Just Joined!
    Ok, well this is a fresh install on a new machine.

I just didnt know if I should bother trying to find and get the latest redhat workstation 5.2 cds before I install, or if I could just install the 5.1 media and do system updater to make it the same as 5.2?

So Redman: You are saying that doing the 5.1 install and updates will make it the 'same' as a 5.2 box?

It's what I'd do, install from what you've got and run the update tool. It'll all happen automatically. I wouldn't do this if I only had the RedHat EL4 disks and wanted to go to 5.2, though; minor upgrades are easy, but not major versions.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Ya know... I kinda thought that it might work that way, but I like to play it safe just in case. (I'm just paranoid that way). But with two very knowledgeable nods going for update, then you have no worries.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    ... but I like to play it safe just in case ...
    Doing a clean install instead of upgrade is my first choice too
    But, that's not always possible.

And indeed, when going from RHEL4.x to RHEL5.2 I'd do a clean install instead of an upgrade.