Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, having considered myself a relative mac and windows expert I feel like a complete idiot right now. On my Fedora 8 OS I am just trying to update firefox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New User Updating Firefox

Alright, having considered myself a relative mac and windows expert I feel like a complete idiot right now. On my Fedora 8 OS I am just trying to update firefox to the new 3.0. I downloaded, unpacked and installed it, then tried to run it and it said I needed gtk+-2.12 or higher, so I downloaded that and it said I needed newer versions of Cairo, Pango and GLib, so I downloaded all those. In fact, I found the absolute most recent software I could for all of those. I first unpacked glib-2.18.1.tar.gz, (using the tar -zxvf command, as I did for all of them), then ran the usual ./configure; make; make install. No problems, but then I go to install Pango and it doesn't even get past the configure file, it says "Glib 2.17.3 or better is required" (I thought I just installed that). Then if I try installing Cairo it gives some other error for the configure file, it says I need pixman-1 >= 0.12.0. Anyway, that's my next step I guess, but I feel like not everybody goes through this to update firefox and it should be something ridiculously simple. Also, just so I know, where should I be installing all this stuff? I'm just putting them each in the root folder, which I'm pretty sure is wrong. Maybe that's why things aren't installing? That's just where the firefox page said to put things. Any help on any number of these things would be greatly appreciated, I guess I just have a ways to go before understanding how linux systems work. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "installed it". Usually, when upgrading Firefox that isn't from the Fedora repos, you simply download it, unpack it and start using it. In my F7 install, I upgraded to 3.0 a couple weeks ago. I downloaded the standard lin package from Moz, unpacked it and double-clicked "firefox" in the directory. It automatically checked my plugins and addons for compatibility and I was off.

The only time I've had to mess with glib is when using a custom build of Firefox.

thanks,
    json
    Aloof linux user #whatever.

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Just Joined!

error compiling pango

i have to cross compile gtk for arm9 board for providing mozilla browser on the board . i have found out that for porting mozilla first gtk has to be cross compiled . when i began with gtk i found pango and glib are required . glib was compiled without problems but pango gave an error while ./configure saying "glib-2.17.3 or better required" . i have already cross compiled glib 2.17.3 .could you help me as to how i can solve this error. i mean how can i include glib with pango other than installing it to /usr/lib....

Pango is required for the Fedora ver. of Firefox, but I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement for Mozilla's default version, is it? Whose version are you attempting to install?

thanks,
    json

I tested off the charts for MENSA. Unfortunately, it was off the wrong end of the chart.

Sorry:

In answer to your question(installing Pango on Fedora)

As root:

yum install pango
    thanks,
    json

Just Joined!
    its for the fedora version . but i dont want to install the libraries . the pc has pango1.0 in /usr/include . i am working on porting the browser on to a board with ARM processor ,so without effecting the settings of native system i have to cross compile pango and gtk .

could you help me with a solution to add glib-2.17.3 with pango-1.22.0

thanks