Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay so long story short, i had multiple shell windows open, and one of them was for my server and it was logged in as root... and i cant beleive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

In really bad embarising trouble...

okay so long story short, i had multiple shell windows open, and one of them was for my server and it was logged in as root... and i cant beleive im saying this but for some reason i ran a command "mv /*/* /" then i realized what i was doing.. and ctrl+c'd it soo what i was wondering is there any way i could copy any of the "/" folders off of the install CD? when i try to use "ls" i have to use /ls because /bin is all dumped into "/" yeah.... i know, bad news.. but anyway is there a recovery thing on the fc8 folder? i need to fix this because if i poweroff im afraid it wont boot because the /boot folder is all dumped into "/" as well.. soo any ideas would be well appreciated thanks
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

I think you will probably end up restoring a backup or doing a fresh install ...

If you have the disk space you could do a fresh install in another partition and do directory by directory compare ... but thats going to take a long time.

How much of the system is still in place ? /bin /boot /etc /home /lib ...

lol half of /etc is there, some of /lib... all of /home is perfect, and /root is fine too. ts kind of hard to tell because im not usre how many files are supposed to be in all of them... is there any way to do a re-install of fc8 but keep all your data files... or is there a need to reformat? But i was thinking of Installing Centos instead of FC8 for stability reasons..but i need to figure out what to do with my data.. ive got an external drive but its NTFS and i cant write to that.. man.. this has never happened to me, im so mad for doing this.. I like realized what had happened 2 seconds after i pressed enter..
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

/home will contain user data ... but depending on what you were running things may be in other places as well ... I don't use FC so don't know what options are available ... can you write stuff to archive files and put them on your external drive? so you can preserve owner properties.

If you do find an option for a safe install or something similar you should probably at least backup root before you do this because you are likely to have dumped data into root that may be wiped because root would not normally contain data ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    I think you will probably end up restoring a backup or doing a fresh install
    I agree, if you needed a good reason to check into a new distro, this is a golden opportunity.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

What a mess

So, most, but not all, of the contents of every folder in /* has now been moved to / ?

It should be possible to resurrect this system, but it depends how much time you have, and how critical the machine is. If the machine is critical, backup the contents of /home and any other important files (e.g. if you put anything in /usr/local/bin), and reinstall the OS. It'll take a while to get your system back to the way you had it, but this is easily the quickest way.

The slow way, and the way that might teach you some stuff about linux, would be to go through each and every file and folder in /, and try to determine where it should be moved to. Restoring /boot will allow your system to be rebooted (I think), and putting /etc/init.d back will allow the runlevel services to be executed -- but I'm pretty sure these services won't execute properly unless they can call stuff in /bin.

Never mind the contents of /dev ....

Man, this is a tough problem. Solvable with a lot of patience, but tough
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    I'd personally like to hear more about this situation.

Like how you found yourself running that command?

well, thankfully i left my system up long enough to remove all of my crucial data and i reinstalled Centos 5 so all in all its okay because ive been trying to find a good reason to switch it over from FC8... never should have decided to set up a server on FC but regardless, everything is up and running perfectly now. as for how I ended up running that command... well I wish i knew... i suppose this is just a fine example of why you probably shold not drink and compute.. thank God it was just my home media server / play webserver..... man.. I do have to say I sure do feel like an idiot... i have on clue what i was thinking.. ive been using linux since red hat 6.2 and this is just horrible haha.. might as well just typed "rm -rf /" haha but thanks alot for your help guys i really appreaciate it

-Z