Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello folks, I am trying without success to set up WiFi on my new Dell M1530 laptop. The OS is RHEL 4 Update 6. I realize that this is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mkv
    Just Joined!

WiFi on a Dell M1530 running RHEL 4

Hello folks,

I am trying without success to set up WiFi on my new Dell M1530 laptop. The OS is RHEL 4 Update 6. I realize that this is an old release, but I have no choice in the matter, since my client uses it.

The laptop uses the Intel 4965AGN chip, and I found a driver page at:

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link drivers for Linux*

But it seems to be for kernel versions 2.6.18 and above.

On my RHEL 4 install, a 'uname -r' gives: 2.6.9-67

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks for your help.

Mahesh

Linux Guru
    I think that your only option is to upgrade your kernel. I don't know if you have access to the Red Hat repositories, because this is not free. Your client may have paid support, so that is who I'd ask.

There is no guarantee that there is a more recent kernel, even in the Red Hat repositories. So, the best way is to download the source code for a new kernel and compile it yourself. Also, RHEL is usually for server installations. I have found that the kernel is not compiled with wireless support (as you have too).

Are you positive that you can't use a recent version of Fedora? They are essentially the same, except the Fedora kernel has just about all options compiled into it as modules. The Red Hat kernel doesn't. If you compile a recent kernel for RHEL 4, with all driver modules enabled, you will essentially have Fedora.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.