Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Im new to the forum and fairly new to linux on the whole I have squid set up on the internet server at work, the server then distributes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squid Problems?

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and fairly new to linux on the whole

I have squid set up on the internet server at work, the server then distributes to various computers around the building allowing users internet access. The problem im trying to resolve is that a couple of the users computers can bypass the proxy settings by removing the tick from the box (windows xp). Is there anyway to stop this? My boss caught a guy on facebook and did his nut......lol.

Anyhelp well recieved.

Many thanks

crabby

you could setup your firewall to disable all outgoing requests on port 80 and 443, except from the IP address of your proxy. There are ways around this too, but require more technical knowledge. As long as you have a blacklist, and not a whitelist (a blacklist blocks known bad sites, a whitelist blocks ALL sites, and allows access to an approved whitelist) there are ways around it.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Could I do this through IP tables? again forgive me Linux is still abit of a mystery to me.

Thanks

Crabs.

well I havent ever done this before, I just know that it can be done. I think it is through iptables that you do it, but I havent worked with IPtables more then a couple times, so someone else will have to jump in here to help you. There are probably an infinate number of ways you could pull this off, and since i've never ACTUALY done it before, I'm not sure this way would be best, i was just throwing a suggestion that you could google off of.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4