Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
On starting up in runlevel 3, 'ps -A' shows a lot of processes running, some of which i dont need. I figured out the sysV services and filtered /etc/rc3.d/ , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Filtering Startup Services

On starting up in runlevel 3, 'ps -A' shows a lot of processes running, some of which i dont need. I figured out the sysV services and filtered /etc/rc3.d/ , but there seem 2 b some (kde related ?) services like kapmd, kjournald etc.

Can anyone tell me what they r, r they important or can i disable them. Even if they r important, i would like to know which init script is starting them and from where (they dont seem 2 b in the system path cause typing the commands at the terminal gives a bad command error)..

Linux Guru
    kapmd and kjournald are processes related to the kernel. You cannot just shut them off or uninstall them to the best of my knowledge without making your system totally unusable in the process.

Just Joined!

Startup services

Hi,
    When I enter setup into console and goto services, I see a lot of services of which some are acive. Can you please tell me what are those services and which of them are required and which of them I can disable(like cups because I don't have a printer).

I tried to google for those services by their names but it seems to be very laborious task.

I installed FC1 in everything mode and didn't customize anything except installing xmms and wmi. Also I don't use KDE or GNOME.(I don't want to uninstall them though. I might need them some day. just disable those services.)

Is it possible to start those services if required from the console. If yes can you please tell me how.

Thankyou

Linux Guru
    This may help:

When booting, after the kernel is installed, /etc/rc.d/init.d runs. Depending on the initdefault, which is set at the beginning of init.d (see the explanation at top of file), various scripts are run to initialized services. If initdefault is set to runlevel 3, full multi-user mode, no X, then scripts are run as called for in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d Each file in the rc3.d directory is a symbolic link to a script in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory. Depending on whether the link in rc3.d starts with a K (kill) or an S (start), the linked-to script will be run with the appropriate attribute, for example, S85gpm will run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm start' . In Fedora Core 1, the directory rc4.d is identical to rc5.d, and is therefor available for modifying a custom boot sequence with reduced risk. So to do want it sounds like you would like to do, you could delete from rc4.d those services you don't want to load, and then set initdefault to 4.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Hi thanks for the info
    I'll check it out. but is it possible to disable them from setup? I'm a little afraid to change the run level and the system scripts. I did it once and my pc started rebooting repeatedly as soon as it booted. I had to reinstall the whole thing again.

Linux Guru
    Changing initdefault is straightforward: if you're not comfortable with editing the initdefault, you probably should not worry about changing the boot sequence until you know more. Whatever you do, you should try to understand what's involved before you change things, try to minimize risk and have an exit strategy. In the case of your repeated re-boots, it sounds like you may not have read the words of wisdom at the top of /etc/inittab It specifically says not to set the initdefault to 1 (reboot: which sounds like you may have) or to 6 (shutdown).

It's wise to take notes when you make changes, especially if you are unsure, and it's smart to have a bootable recovey disc or a live CD so you can go back and fix mistakes.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

I know

Hi,

I know about the runlevel 1 and I have boot with 1st cd in rescue mode and checked it out. But that wasn't the prob. Probably I screwed something else too.

any how I changed the runlevel to 4 now.But I would like to use runlevel 3 by default.can I simply copy /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to /etc/rc.d/rc4.d and modify it then or do I have to follow some procedure for that?

thanks for all your help.

Just Joined!
    --duplicate removed--

Quote Originally Posted by TMaYaD
    Hi,

I know about the runlevel 1 and I have boot with 1st cd in rescue mode and checked it out. But that wasn't the prob. Probably I screwed something else too.

any how I changed the runlevel to 4 now.But I would like to use runlevel 3 by default.can I simply copy /etc/rc.d/rc3.d to /etc/rc.d/rc4.d and modify it then or do I have to follow some procedure for that?

The file : /etc/inittab states what the default init level is where the system boots to.

Edit that file and put it back in 3 (Text) or 5 (Graphical)

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Opnosforatou
    Quote Originally Posted by TMaYaD
    Hi,

The file : /etc/inittab states what the default init level is where the system boots to.

Edit that file and put it back in 3 (Text) or 5 (Graphical)

Hi,

I'm trying to tweak with a few startup services. As Drake basher told, The whole idea is to change to rc4 and tweak things so that rc3 and 5 are intact should something go wrong. So I'm trying to customise rc3 by first duplicating it on rc4 and then tweaking. What I want to know is how to duplicate rc3 into rc4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast