Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I was trying to update my software list, so I went to the software add/ remove thing and chose to make updates from there but it started to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help me get back my beloved linux :(

Hi all,

I was trying to update my software list, so I went to the software add/ remove thing and chose to make updates from there but it started to remove things (I guess) instead of updating. Well I figured this out late, when I got an error message stating that there is a "BUG" or something, so I restarted, but when it started up, the screen was black with a message saying:

"INIT: id "X" is respawning too fast .."

I read some posts about this problem online (and didn't understand anything), but I could at least go interactive mode using "startx". Then I wanted to run "emacs" but it said emacs did not exist so I used yum to installed after which I was transferred to the KDE environment (I used to use GNOME). Luckily my stuff are still there. I tried to open an openoffice doc but it didnt open, a pdf file but it didnt open ..etc WEIRD

Now I read there is a "switchdesk" command to switch back to "GNOME", I ran it --> didn't work --> Yummed it --> ran again, but said the the GNOME enviro DID NOT EXIST hollycow, what is going on please help me restore

oz
    forum.guy
    Just my opinion, but I think it would be quicker and easier for you if you either restore your system from any system backup images you have on hand, or reinstall the system from scratch.

You can copy any important data to another partition or to a flash drive before you start the installation.
    oz

I would have to agree with oz. If there is anything you want to keep or save, make a back-up either on CD or transfer the info to a thumb drive.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Indeed, make sure you backup all important stuff and reinstall.

What files (location?) do you want to keep? If they are on a seperate partition, other than /boot and / you can reinstall and leave the data on it (provided you do not select format during installation for the partition the data is on).

Linux Guru
    Yup, another nod to ozar's suggestion.

I wanted to add that updating a working system is usually unnecessary and, as you found, risky. For that reason I usually only update new installations, before I have anything invested in it. If it becomes hosed, then a re-install is not so bad.

Usually any security and bug fixes are done in the first update, although any newer security updates should always be applied.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.