Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am new to linux world and would like to install Fedora 9. Presently am having Win xp on my laptop. I downloaded the fc9 dvd iso and burnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help 2 install fedora 9 using USB flash drive

Hi,
    I am new to linux world and would like to install Fedora 9. Presently am having Win xp on my laptop.
    I downloaded the fc9 dvd iso and burnt the DVD. However my dvd drive is not functioning properly.
    So I want install using a flash drive. I have an 8 GB flash drive. I want to copy the downloaded fc9 dvd iso to my flash drive and do the installation from my flash drive. How can I do that

Just Joined!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Hi axet...

thanks for the reply. I have tried the live USB version of fc9. and it also has feature called "install to Disk". But installing from the live USB gives very few features compared to DVD iso. thats why I wanted to do the complete installation from the DVD iso.

I have also seen another option of installing from hard drive, where we can do the install from a DVD iso on a hard drive. And a usb stick can be treated as a hard drive. But the problem is I need to boot up using a installer bootup CD, and my CD drive is not working properly. How can I make the USB stick containing the DVD iso file as an installer boot up device ?

thanks,
    Aju

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    You need to convert your DVD image to usb by liveusb-creator.

Check it here:

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator

Just Joined!
    I do have the "live usb creator". So you mean to say use the DVD iso instead of the live-cd iso while creating the live usb ??

Let me try that..

Just Joined!
    probably you can't install from liveusb all packages what you need.

try to boot from liveusb, then look up boot option, try to play F1, F2 and look for option like media source or something like that...

after you found that option, you can select installation media (iso images) from hard drive. probably you need ext3/fat formated harddrive.

Just Joined!
    the option is: 'askmethod'

Just Joined!
    hi Axet,

where do I need to enter the option "askmethod". Here is what I did.

1) created the live USB using the "live usb Creator" application. Used the live CD iso file for creating the live usb
    2) copied the FC9 installer dvd iso to the usb drive.
    3) booted the laptop usin the live usb.

the laptop simply boots up the fedora live usb. where can i enter the askmethod option ?

Hello and Welcome!

Personally, I don't have a DVD burner, but managed to find a method of installation that works great! You might want to take a look at Unetbootin. It's a complete install, just like the DVD.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajujoseph View Post
    hi Axet,

where do I need to enter the option "askmethod". Here is what I did.

1) created the live USB using the "live usb Creator" application. Used the live CD iso file for creating the live usb
    2) copied the FC9 installer dvd iso to the usb drive.
    3) booted the laptop usin the live usb.

the laptop simply boots up the fedora live usb. where can i enter the askmethod option ?
    when welcome screen appear (with automacic login 60 sec..) you need press tab, then type "linux askmethod"...

i have another idea to install fedora without usb or cd drive. there is magic in virtualmachines. you can simply install VirutualBox, then create virtual machine with REAL harddrive and real install media Fedora 9. then run those machine and just install it from windows under virtualmachine.

if you need more detailed instruction let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast