Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I can't login with a non-root user to the desktop, but I can access it without gui. Does any body have solved this isues? My os is rhel5 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't login into the gui with a non-root user

Hi guys,
    I can't login with a non-root user to the desktop, but I can access it without gui.
    Does any body have solved this isues?

My os is rhel5

Thanks

Hi Qylin and welcome to the forum.

If you can't log in to a regular user desktop environment I would imagine you'd at least get some sort of error messages. Can you post them here? If no error messages, tell us what you are doing and then what RH is doing or not doing. The more info you can provide the better we can help.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When you get to the login manager, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the terminal as root. After that run the command "init 3", logout of the root account and login as a normal user. Once you have logged in as a normal user, run the command "startx" (minus quotes") and then post back any error messages printed on the screen.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Hi Qylin and welcome to the forum.

If you can't log in to a regular user desktop environment I would imagine you'd at least get some sort of error messages. Can you post them here? If no error messages, tell us what you are doing and then what RH is doing or not doing. The more info you can provide the better we can help.
    Thanks Dapper, I will try that. I am a freshout in Linux world, so there might be some quesiontions ambigious. Thanks for your note.
    I will try it this week because I am not at the desktop.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    When you get to the login manager, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the terminal as root. After that run the command "init 3", logout of the root account and login as a normal user. Once you have logged in as a normal user, run the command "startx" (minus quotes") and then post back any error messages printed on the screen.
    Thanks Daark, you way is very clear, I will try it this weekend, thanks for you kind reply.
    I have been tried to learn linux for quite a long time, but I didn't find a hot form.
    Thanks to all of you.
    I will always surf this web page.