Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys I am new to the linux world (heard of the word 'Linux' one month back only).. so plz be patient and sympathetic to me.. I am bored of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FEDORA 9 & ubuntu 8.04 both fail on Lenovo

Hi Guys
    I am new to the linux world (heard of the word 'Linux' one month back only).. so plz be patient and sympathetic to me..
    I am bored of using the MS Windows thats why i chose to install Linux on my Lenovo Laptop 3000 C200 (Intel CPU, Centrino, T1350 @1.86 GHz 781 MHz, 1.99 GB RAM, 160 GB SATA Hard disk) this is the info i got about my computer when i saw the properties..

when i installed Fedora 9 on my computer (with windows partition- 110GB to windows and rest to Fedora).i was able to install fully and use it for 2 days but later it stopped responding.. i mean the mouse used to hang and i had to press the power off button and start my computer again. when i tried to update my fedora version the same problem happens after few minutes.. mouse hangs and computer stopped responding- wanting a reboot.
    then i dropped the idea of using fedora was very much angry with that.

so had to format my windows even.. tried this procedure again.. but faced the same problem... in toto i have tried this 4 times but always failed..

lastly i tried to install UBUNTU 8.04 on my same laptop but contrary to the earlier installation of fedora, the UBUNTU installation did not get successful.. the mouse hangs at 1st step of the 7 steps of installation. tried this twice..

my friend has installed ubuntu on his computer with this same cd but it doesn't seem to work for me..
    can anybody help me...
    please.... for my sake use simple terms, i mean i don't know the terminology used in Linux

Boot up your fedora or ubuntu live cd and pick the memory test option at boot screen to see if it is a ram issue. Let it run for at least a couple hours. If no errors, then you know your ram isn't failing. Freezeups sometimes can be hardware related.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I did it with fedora and the test passed successfully..
    can the previous installation of fedora conflict with the installation of ubuntu?

Not that I know of. You should be able to install Ubuntu over Fedora. The Ubuntu installer will overwrite your Fedora Install. This might be a compatability issue here.. Does the Ubuntu run ok in Live mode for long periods of time or are you going right into install before you run the live cd? If you are stuck on running Ubuntu, how about burning a Linux Mint or Mepis 7.0 live cd? Both are Debian based like Ubuntu but come already with codecs installed and I think both distros come with either Gnome or KDE Desktop options. I am just wondering if you are running into Linux compatabilty issues. Mandriva is another suggestion that I would try. That way you can narrow down on why the freezeups are occurring. What is really puzzling me is IBM Laptops are so Linux friendly that I am suprised you are even having trouble with Fedora or Ubuntu. Your specs are way higher than my IBM Desktop that runs Ubuntu 8.04 and I never get freezups or hangups. My Panasonic Cf-48 Laptop which also runs Ubuntu 8.04 with only 512mb ram has never had a hiccup. If you had a floppy drive on the laptop I would tell you to make a floppy of Killdisk to wipe the Fedora Partition, but Ubuntus installer does the same durn thing, so I am kinda at a loss on this.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

It just hit me. Is your friends computer a sata hardrive like your or IDE hardrive. I ask because all my stuff is IDE. Maybe there is a step you are missing when doing the install on a sata drive, just a guess. Maybe the problem is in your cdrom drive, I had problems with a Windows install once where everything froze halfway through install and changing out the cdrom fixed that for me.

And are you trying to run Ubuntu in Live cd mode and it doesn't finish booting up or are you actually trying to install from the getgo.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

only the mouse hangs? keyboard also?

try pressing ctrl+alt+f1

c if it goes into terminal 1

Just Joined!
    thanks for the suggestions... i think the fedora dvd was not fine.. it was interfering with ubuntu too... what i did this time- i formatted my whole system again and installed win xp. then deleted one of the logical drives with disk management program of windows and thus gained continuous free space on the disk. then ran the live cd of ubuntu followed by its installation.. its running fine now..
    may be now i m able to use linux for the first time in my life...
    thanks once again to the LINUX COMMUNITY..cheers up...

Just Joined!

again failed

this time again ubuntu has failed.. i tried to upgrade it.. got the updates sucessfully.. but when i tried to install azureus vuze after installing java... it crashed again.. had to remove it..