Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to boot without going into Gnome or KDE but can't find a way to interrupt or exit the windows environments. I need to manually install a video driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exit Windows

I want to boot without going into Gnome or KDE but can't find a way to interrupt or exit the windows environments. I need to manually install a video driver without the windows environment running.

There are two things you could do.

You can stop the windows environment loading at boot by editing /etc/inittab, and replacing id:5:initdefault: with id:3:initdefault: (change the 5 to a 3). Change it back to a 5 when you want to boot into a graphical environment again.

Or, after you've booted into a graphical environment. Press ctrl-alt-F1, log in as root, and type the following command,
    Code:
    init 3
    To get back into a graphical environment, either reboot, or enter
    Code:
    init 5
    Welcome to the forums!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

smolloy, you forgot one!
    You could also boot to single user mode with Grub.
    When your machine boots up and you see the grub prompt, press the spacebar to stop the autoloading. Next you want use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel that you want to boot then press the "a" button.
    Make sure you are at the end of the kernel line and type "single", so that it looks like this.
    Code:
    root (hd0,0)
         kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 real_root=/dev/hda8 acpi=off noapic single
    After you are done, press the "enter" button to save it, then press "b" to boot that kernel line. Your actual kernel line will look different, that's ok.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    smolloy, you forgot one!
    Don't I always? Thanks Mike!

Just to be clear, single-user mode is a little different from the mode my suggestions will put you in. Single-user mode only allows one user -- root -- and no networking, while runlevel 3 (which my suggestions will do) allows multiple users, and networking.

If you're installing video drivers, then I guess it doesn't matter, but if you need access to a regular user, or anything on the network, then run-level 3 is a better bet.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!

Thanks

Tried using the ctrl-alt-F1 and it worked but left a residual of the X server in a file so the video driver thought it was still running. Edited the inittab file and it worked great except I ran into another problem concerning the kernel source tree. I'll post it as a new thread.