Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Actually i have to set a timer for paricular function. For example, i hav a function that will receive some parameters within certain time period. If time out happens, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Using timer function

Hi,
    Actually i have to set a timer for paricular function. For example, i hav a function that will receive some parameters within certain time period. If time out happens, some other function should take place. ie i hav to set timer for the expectation of that parameters. If i use sleep function, other process will not happen, ie expecting parameters will not happen. It can be done only by using signals. Dont know how to do that....

here are some details...........

i have not any scripts right now but it is to be a c program ................

for example..........

actually i m implementing the timer function for mobile orginating case.........

in which a particular function will wait for response.....................

response may vary according to conditions and check performed by system.................

when i receive response i had to stop timer..............

it means i have to catch a signal and after that stop timer.

otherwise if i did recieve timer before timeout say before 5 sec.............

i again have to stop timer and increment a counter representing number of time outs..............

and print time out.
    Last edited by amit12sept; 10-18-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: to provide more details

Just Joined!
    Could you provide more details, like your script for example..