Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have dsl modem, i want to share internet to client i,e windows xp client,how can i give permission in fedoro...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dsl modem internet

i have dsl modem, i want to share internet to client i,e windows xp client,how can i give permission in fedoro

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Why not use a router attached to the modem to route the DSL signal to any other computers attached to it?

Doing it that way, no permissions are needed from Fedora or WinXP to allow the other to connect.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Welcome to the Forums =)

Well, I am assuming that you are not able to connect to the internet although your post is a little unclear.

Please post the results from the following string of commands:

Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig -a && /bin/netstat -a | /usr/bin/grep def ; /bin/ping -c2 google.com || /bin/ping -c2 64.233.187.99
    This will give A LOT of very useful and needed information.

I would have to agree with ozar. The easiest way to split your connection would be to employ a router. No muss, no fuss!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I would have to agree with ozar. The easiest way to split your connection would be to employ a router. No muss, no fuss!
    Perhaps his modem is a simple bridge and needs the router to handing a PPPoE virtual dial session if more than one host is employed. That would likely bring fuss and muss to the average end-user.

You see you can't answer a question if the question make nonsense. I have no clue what he means by saying "giving permissions". The only thing I could decipher from that using any kind of real logic is that he has instigated some sort of host access filtering rules on a router.

Perhaps his router or modem has no DHCP server running on it and needs to manually configure the device or the issue resolves to missing or buggy network drivers or driver dependencies. Either way to effectively aid this person's issue it would be in good measure to effectively gather information and then offer some sort of educated and well-conceived remedy. You see it is badly thought out and prematurely deployed "fixes" that break systems, cost money & give community based support (which Linux needs) a bad name.

You're absolutely right, there may be a bit of configuration needed to make a router work... but that just happens to be a fact of life. But not only is configuration a part of Linux, it's a part of networking.

But I do happen to know for a fact that configuring a router for internet sharing is far simpler than trying to give permissions to multiple computers (as per the OP) to share internet access. And I am only basing this on my experience as a professional Internet Help Desk Technician, so I might just happen to be wrong
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    root@manabiscuits: I think that you are adding meaning to the original question, that isn't there. If the OP has some sort of complicated setup, say using a Fedora box as a DHCP server, then I think that he would have said so.

I agree with the others answers. Get a router to hook up between the modem and the network. The only problem that there could be, is if it is a PC based modem.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.