Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a newbie questions. Sorry if it seems silly. I was reading the Fedora site and wanted to download and boot and image of it. I noticed there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

new to fedora/red hat

I have a newbie questions. Sorry if it seems silly.

I was reading the Fedora site and wanted to download and boot and image of it.

I noticed there is a 86_64 and a i686 and a ppc.

I want to use this on an intel Laptop Toshiba to be specific and a IBM R61.

Which image do I want? I am assuming (bad I know) the 86_64 image.

How can I test the image once it is downloaded. They posted some command in the document but windows does not have that and I do have a i86 opensolaris.org box but the command is not recognized.

qemu -hda /dev/sdb -m 256 -std-vga

Also has anyone used the FEL
    Fedora Electronic Lab

I wanted to install this but not sure how this gets loaded after you install Fedora. I have never used a torrent file. Not sure what opens it.

Thanx sorry for the newbie questions. Ill continue to search too.

CJ

Linux Newbie
    I made a cd of the 86_64 iso. The system boots and says kernel is loaded but then the screen goes blank and i get no lights. no activity on the cd or the drive etc.

What image do I need?
    Where can I get it?

This is right from the fedora site and is rel 9.

I guess Ill download the i386 and try that.

Quote Originally Posted by unix1adm View Post
    I have a newbie questions. Sorry if it seems silly.

I was reading the Fedora site and wanted to download and boot and image of it.

I noticed there is a 86_64 and a i686 and a ppc.

I want to use this on an intel Laptop Toshiba to be specific and a IBM R61.

Which image do I want? I am assuming (bad I know) the 86_64 image.
    I did a search for the Thinkpad R61 and it said you have a Core 2 Duo. That's a 64-bit chip, but you can run either the X86_64 or the regular 32-bit (X86) versions. For more explanation on this, see "What does i686, etc.. mean?" in this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

How can I test the image once it is downloaded. They posted some command in the document but windows does not have that and I do have a i86 opensolaris.org box but the command is not recognized.
    You generally test an ISO image using a hash sum of some sort. The most popular right now are MD5 and SHA1. See "How to Burn an ISO File" in the link above.

I wanted to install this but not sure how this gets loaded after you install Fedora. I have never used a torrent file. Not sure what opens it.
    Torrent files are opened using a BitTorrent client. You can get one either from the BitTorrent main site (for Windows/Mac) or most Linux distributions come with one installed by default. If you're using the GNOME desktop, the default BitTorrent client is called Transmission.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    If I can run 86_64 any idea why it hangs on boot up and never does anything? Just gives me a blank screen.

I get the booting linux (or some such text) with a count down timer and then it says the kernel is loaded but then goes blank.

Thanx for the other link.

If you have the Fedora CD, then boot up to it in Rescue mode, post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    It'll give us an idea of what might be going on!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    How hard is it to get wireless/network working ?

I have a Verizon wireless modem card. How would I get that to work. I looked on their site but did not see a Linux client for this device.

Is there some SW that works on Linux?

What about my IPOD. I see things for other MP3 players but not Apple ITunes. Or do I need to convert my files etc.
    I also have a WinCE palm 700W phone that sync with my outlook. Is there a client that will work with Linux?

I would like to get off Windows but have to keep it around for various apps like the ones mentioned above.

Thanx for any info you can share.

Some other questions I have is. I have a network attached drive that has 2 usb drives off it. They are NTFS and win32 formats. Can they be seen my Linux? Also if I plug in a USB drive/stick will it be seen?

I use SD cards for my camera with a sd reader will that be an issue?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to figure this all out before I make the leap.
    CJ

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If you have the Fedora CD, then boot up to it in Rescue mode, post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    It'll give us an idea of what might be going on!
    OK I will do this and post back with the requested info when I have 2 computers. One that i can run the CD on one i can get to this site from

Actually, if you can get your hands on a copy of Knoppix, you'll be able to get the info you need as well as post here at the same time.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.