Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a Hylafax server going on a Fedora Core 6 installation. We had two modems running on the onboard serial ports just fine. We need to expand our fax ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 6, added a new serial card, now what?

We have a Hylafax server going on a Fedora Core 6 installation. We had two modems running on the onboard serial ports just fine. We need to expand our fax lines, so we added a PCI serial port card.

Now what? I expected to see new serial ports show up in /dev/ttyS*, but there are still the original four (0 and 1 are the current modems, 2 and 3 were there before and I assumed those were the USB ports?). Do I need to do something to "install" the new card in the software, or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Linux Guru
    Chances are that you need to add the driver. Fedora Core 6 is pretty old, and won't have support for newer hardware.

Either you find a way to add the drivers, or you update to a newer kernel or newer version of Fedora. I doubt that you want to screw around with a working server, so maybe you can add the drivers.

To find out the chips that the card is using, use this command, and post the output here.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    You could also find a different card that is supported by your kernel.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Hrmmm....thanks. I didn't realize FC6 was that old, although I guess the "server" was built about a year and half ago. Actually, it's the desktop version of it, too, on a woefully underpowered PC. I'd really like to redo it in Ubuntu Server since that's what I'm familiar with, but like you said, it's not fun to mess with a working server! I don't think they really put much thought into the card they ordered, as far as I know it's just a generic PCI serial port expansion card.

Anyway, I'll run that command tomorrow when I get to work and see what it says. Maybe I'll go ahead and run any yum updates, too...I'm sure there's a ton.

Thanks again!

Linux Guru
    Be careful with updates, it can easily break a working system. Especially be careful with kernel updates. You may want to just leave it, and start working on the replacement. Maybe start with a new hard drive, you can install a newer version of Linux on it. This would leave the working version untouched.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Here's the output from lspci:

Code:
    [root@punisher ~]# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430TX - 82439TX MTXC (rev 01)
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
    00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
    00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
    00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 21)
    00:0b.0 Serial controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9835 Multi-I/O Controller (rev 01)
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TGUI 9660/938x/968x (rev d3)
    [root@punisher ~]#
    I'll talk things over with the team here and see what they think. So am I correct in thinking that if the new serial ports were detected I would see ttyS4 and S5?

Just Joined!
    Hrmmmm....after searching some more on that specific card, it seems like it *may* already be working? I found some other posts that suggest that S2 and S3 are actually the new ports....I'll try hooking up another modem and see if it works!

Linux Guru
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think that these are the modules for the card.

paraport
    paraport_pci
    paraport_serial

You can check if they are loaded. You can also check the output of dmesg for messages concerning this card and the ports.

Linux Guru
    Check out this link that I found
    NetMos 9845CV

It isn't for your model of card. But it does give a lot of info on how to create the device ports using the setserial command, if they aren't created automatically.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all! It turns out the FC6 kernel was 2.6, and apparently it was all working all along. I assumed the S2 and S3 were already there; those are actually the ports for the new card. I hooked up a modem to the card, configured ttyS2 in hylafax, and everything seems to be working great. Thanks for all the help, and I did learn some new things. I still want to rebuild the thing anyway...it's really slow (prev admin put FC6 desktop version on a Pentium I-266Mhz with 256MB of RAM!)