Find the answer to your Linux question:
okay, i made the switch to linux about a month or so ago, starting with red hat 9, and moved on to fedora core 2. My knowledge has progressed alot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 2 Hard Lock up

okay, i made the switch to linux about a month or so ago, starting with red hat 9, and moved on to fedora core 2. My knowledge has progressed alot since i started and i managed to get open GL drivers installed and Medal of honor allied assault, and AMerica's Army working to play on my free time. They work great but after about 5-10 minutes of player MOHAA it hard locks my PC and i cant even CTRL +ALT+BACKSPACE out i have to reset manually. Americas Army hard locks when im on the training mission after about 5 minutes max. and ive noticed that fedora hard locks also during regular desktop operation. i was installing the new kernel 2.6.8 and it locked up forcing me to manually reset. i got in installed the next time around but it didnt fix the problem. i was using 2.6.5 previously. i have a ATI Radeon 9200, ASUS a7n8x? MOBO with integrated sound and ethernet. any other specs you need just let me know. this is driving me nuts.
    Chad

Just Joined!

forum help

i have to say, i have been a member here for a short while, but out of the questions i have asked so far, not one person has replied to me or even given any advice. i am very displeased with the help given in this forum. am i doing something wrong? posting bad questions ?

I've experienced same problems too.
    How much memory is in your machine and how large is your swap file ?
    Sometime this happens, the lock up, when your have for example 512MB memory and a swap of 256MB. This should be a problem, but experience has learned that this causes RH and FC to freeze at some point.
    I've got 1GB of memory and I needed a swapfile of >1GB to stop the freezing (System lockups).

Regarding the fact that some of you questions haven't received any answers:
    Not all people experience same problems or know answers to various linux problems. Don't have up hope, rebump you question a few times.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    thanks alot man. ok i have a 512 chip and im not sure but i believe i have a 1 gig swap? how can i check ? in the mean time ill try to find out and get back to you

Just Joined!
    okay i think i got it, you type df and it tells you. i typed it in and i dont think FC2 gave me any swap space as i completely reformatted using automatic. this is what i get:
    # df
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hdb2 39033292 11897532 25152940 33% /
    /dev/hdb1 101086 7766 88101 9% /boot
    none 257924 0 257924 0% /dev/shm
    one is boot and other is root right? so how do i go about adding a swap partition can i do it thru lthe linux boot cd or is ther a simpler way ?

Just Joined!

enough is enough

i just reformatted and reinstalled everything and its STILL locking up. i gave it a 1.5gig partition for swap and its still locking up randomly, even when im on my desktop or surfing the web. PLEASE help me im about to go back to windows

Re: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Squrl
    i just reformatted and reinstalled everything and its STILL locking up. i gave it a 1.5gig partition for swap and its still locking up randomly, even when im on my desktop or surfing the web. PLEASE help me im about to go back to windows
    Okies, U are using a complete disk for Linux I guess.
    U have 512MB of memory.
    Did you use the auto create partition feature during install ?
    If so. Try to use the manual one usuing either fdisk of cfdisk.
    Create the following partition layout
    (Example with 40GB harddisk, should work on others too)
    /dev/hda1 ext3 size: 38GB
    /dev/hda2 swap The rest that's left over.
    You can also use a 120GB disk create something like this above but keep the swap disk at 1.5GB and the rest empty to mount l8r when you need the extra disk space.

Did you download/install the ATI driver from their website?
    (I have an NVidia chipset card from Asus and use the Nvidia drivers, not the one from Asus.)

Once you installed FC2, how long does it take to crash.
    What do you do ?
    Just random in 5 min ???
    If you logon, turn on the System Monitor applet, (Right click on the taskbar and select add->applet->System montor).
    Right click on the applet and select configure to enable the other monitors.
    Select them all en have a look at what happends, does the swap disk fill up. Excessive usage ?, Excessive CPU usage ???

If this still not work, try Fedora Core 1. It's known that FC2 gives troubles with ATI based videocards, dunno why, but that's what I see on the board and in the field.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    try seeing your process and the cpu status.

Use the command :

top -d 1

and see the process and cpu status.

Just Joined!

Re: enough is enough

Okies, U are using a complete disk for Linux I guess.
    U have 512MB of memory.
    Did you use the auto create partition feature during install ?

Yes, but i modified what they had setup

If so. Try to use the manual one usuing either fdisk of cfdisk.
    Create the following partition layout
    (Example with 40GB harddisk, should work on others too)
    /dev/hda1 ext3 size: 38GB
    /dev/hda2 swap The rest that's left over.
    You can also use a 120GB disk create something like this above but keep the swap disk at 1.5GB and the rest empty to mount l8r when you need the extra disk space.

Thats exactly as i have it now. 40gig with a 20 meg? boot, 38 gig for root and 1.5gig swap. i just put a fan on my ATI 9200 maybe it was overheating? i havent had a problem since then but its only been 10 min. its usually during high system activity that it locks up. i.e if im running a few mozilla browsers, and term running apt-get or something,

Did you download/install the ATI driver from their website?
    (I have an NVidia chipset card from Asus and use the Nvidia drivers, not the one from Asus.)

the ATI drivers rpm says it conflicts with mesaGL and wont install, but that was just after a fresh format so i dont know if maybe MesaGL was preloaded?

Once you installed FC2, how long does it take to crash.
    What do you do ?
    Just random in 5 min ???

it depends on what i do, usually during medium system usage, sometimes during no system usage...

If you logon, turn on the System Monitor applet, (Right click on the taskbar and select add->applet->System montor).
    Right click on the applet and select configure to enable the other monitors.
    Select them all en have a look at what happends, does the swap disk fill up. Excessive usage ?, Excessive CPU usage ???

definately excessive memory usage. right now i got 2 mozilla windows open and its using 96% memory constant. cpu is about 20 at max not constant, no swap use.

If this still not work, try Fedora Core 1. It's known that FC2 gives troubles with ATI based videocards, dunno why, but that's what I see on the board and in the field.

thanks, im about to. im going to give it until it locks up again or until this thread dies. maybe it was my vidcard it seems ATI and any OS gives trouble with what ive seen everywhere. not that Nvidia is perfect either but moreso ATI

[/quote]