Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have been using linux (Ubuntu) for about a month and last night I made the switch to Fedora. Before I started using linux, I had been using Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Defragment Harddrive?

Hi,

I have been using linux (Ubuntu) for about a month and last night I made the switch to Fedora. Before I started using linux, I had been using Windows for about 10 years. As you know, in windows you have to 'defragment' the hard drive because it gets fragmented. Does the same apply in Linux?? If so, where can I get software to defragment my hard drive?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'd like to know. I am doing tons of reading and , so far, I love the Linux experience!

Thanks,

-Nathan

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've been using Linux for 9 years and have never defragged a Linux hard drive.
    oz

Just Joined!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks for the welcome!

OK: now i know! How often should I reinstall linux? On windows, I would reformat every 6 months to keep everything running smoothly.

Now that I'm using linux, I could never go back to Windows and it's viruses!

Thanks,

-Nathan

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePandemic82 View Post
    How often should I reinstall linux?
    It's purely a matter of personal preference.

I'm not a fan of upgrades, so I usually do fresh installs each time a new version is released, which is about every 6 months with many distributions.

Hope you continue to have fun with it.
    oz

Linux doesn't really slow down the same way. I was the same, a 6-month fresh install of Windows. With Linux there's no registry to grow, programs don't all think they need to run on startup and the partitions don't fragment as much (they're self defragging on top of being less likely to fragment afaik).

I think you should find things a little better behaved generally. Once you get over any initial hardware gripes if you have any and get a grip on a few fundamentals of the system Linux is a pleasure to use. These days I'm too busy getting things done to even tweak or experiment with my system!