Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I would like to uninstall fedora 9 from my laptop. I'm new to this OS and am not very technically minded. I installed it on the only HD and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need Help

Hi
    I would like to uninstall fedora 9 from my laptop. I'm new to this OS and am not very technically minded. I installed it on the only HD and when I try to install Windows from the CD-Rom it doesn't recognise it.

Gil

You don't 'uninstall' as such. You can install something else over the top, your choice seems to be Windwos. Normally the process you use is to set the BIOS to boot from the CD, boot up off the windwos CD and follow through the install process for that OS.

If the CD rom doesn't recognise the windwos CD, then either your CD drive is faulty or your disk is damaged. Either way, it's not Linux that is the problem here - you're booting up your system with the windwos installer before Fedora gets a chance to run.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by p537g View Post
    Hi
    I would like to uninstall fedora 9 from my laptop. I'm new to this OS and am not very technically minded. I installed it on the only HD and when I try to install Windows from the CD-Rom it doesn't recognise it.

Gil
    Dear Gil,

Your first problem is that you booted from windows and is now trying to install fedora from the Cd. Fedora is not a application software but an Operating System which is not been installed in this way.

Now, your main problem is how to install fedora then. So, first you need to see if you have enough space on your harddisk. When i said space, it means non partitioned space. If not, you need to delete existing partition, say if you have more than one partition you can delete the one on which your windows is not installed. But, again, if there is something important, you need to take the backup, as after deleting the partition, you will not be able to recover the data from that deleted partition.

After you have arranged for a space on your harddisk, you need to change the bootsequence through your bios, to boot from CD Rom, insert the fedora cd now and boot from fedora. Now you can install fedora.

Again, you should be conversent, while creating partition, else you may accidently delete windows partition and will be in trouble.

I will suggest you to try installation on new harddisk, so that you dont mess with your existing clean windows installation.

You can also follow OpenSourceNuts.Com | Section-1.

I hope you will get your problem solved after all this.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hello and Welcome!

Quick question... Are you wanting to completely remove Fedora and make Windows your only OS? Or are you wanting to make a dual-boot system that allows you to choose between the two upon start-up?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.