Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello friends, I recently upgraded to Fedora 9. Since it complained of some security updates and bug fixes missing, I installed all of them too. But after that I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Install Problem - GNOME

Hello friends,

I recently upgraded to Fedora 9. Since it complained of some security updates and bug fixes missing, I installed all of them too. But after that I am getting this strange error.
    Code:
    Install Problem
    The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager 
    have not been installed correctly.
    Contact system administrator
    Now when I log in, I find that not even a single icon, menu item appears on the top panel. Hence I am not able to proceed further. The only way to shut down the system is to switch off the power.

What has gone wrong here, and how I can rectifty the same? I can even do away with this Power Manager feature itself.

Came back to say this: Is it possible to do an bug fix/patch update on Fedora, without going to the GUI at all. That is some sort of command which I can give from the command prompt, so that this issue can be fixed? How can I also temporarily switch off the option to display the GUI (i.e after booting up the $ prompt should come up).

Hi

Well once you log in you can go to a shell prompt by hitting "ctrl+alt+F2" and from there you can run all your usual commands and download packages using "yum". To reload your GUI just hit "ctrl+alt+F7".

Hope this helps!

Just Joined!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by blackpearl007 View Post
    To reload your GUI just hit "ctrl+alt+F7".
    Thanks for the tip. Will surely try this one out. How ever I have a few questions.
    1. My Internet connection requires that I open a web browser and access a page to type in my user id and password. Without this my internet connection would not become active. How can I start up the Firefox web browser in this situation? (no GUI)
    2. What is the yum command which I have to use to get the latest bug fixes and upgrades.
    3. Or is there any command using which I can deactivate this power manager? I use a normal desktop (and not a laptop) so not very keen on this feature.

If all else fails I guess I have to reinstall Fedora 9 all over again.

Hi

1. You can use a text based web browser such as elinks or lynx which can be invoked from the command line and does not require a GUI.

2. To get the latest upgrades you should run the service "yum-updatesd" by typing this into your console "service yum-updatesd start". Although you must be careful after starting this service since it may use up considerable bandwidth. Also you can just run the command "yum update" to update all your packages.

3. You can remove the power manager by running this command "rpm -e gnome-power-manger"

Just Joined!
    2. To get the latest upgrades you should run the service "yum-updatesd" by typing this into your console "service yum-updatesd start".
    I gave the command /sbin/service yum-updatesd (I was in the root directory at that time). It said that service was not recognized. When I ran yum install, it said that there are no package updates to be installed.

3. You can remove the power manager by running this command "rpm -e gnome-power-manger"
    This worked. I do not see the error any more. But like before...
    1. All my menu items in the top navigation bar has vanished.
    2. Any window I minimize is lost for ever. It does not goto the bottom of the screen and remain there.

Any idea, how to bring back these menus? .

I gave the command /sbin/service yum-updatesd (I was in the root directory at that time). It said that service was not recognized. When I ran yum install, it said that there are no package updates to be installed.
    Well then you should install the yum-updatesd package using yum as follows :

Code:
    yum install yum-updatesd
    Any idea, how to bring back these menus? .
    Well, first of all try adding a new user using the command "useradd <username>" and set a password for the new user using "passwd <username>". Now login and see if your gui is working fine for this user. If it is then probably there is some problem with the config files of your original user account. If the problem persists then I suggest you re-install gnome.

Just Joined!
    If the problem persists then I suggest you re-install gnome.
    Thanks. I have now installed and started the updatesd. It is now running in the background. I created a new user and logged in. The result is the same.

Now I guess the only option available is to re-install GNOME. Please clarify the following doubts:-
    1. re-install GNOME does not mean re-installing Fedora 9, am I correct?
    2. Will choosing the repair option (which comes up when installing Fedora) be useful here.
    3. I hope none of the user based settings (browser favourites, mail settings etc.) would get wiped out.

Once again thanks for your patience and helping me out.

1. re-install GNOME does not mean re-installing Fedora 9, am I correct?
    ya you are correct.

3. I hope none of the user based settings (browser favourites, mail settings etc.) would get wiped out.
    Well the user based settings related to gnome might get wiped out, I'm not sure about this.

And you can re-install gnome by running these commands in order "yum groupremove gnome-desktop" and "yum groupinstall gnome-desktop". Also make sure Install Media is enabled as one of the repos and your fedora core 9 disk is inserted in your optical drive, so the packages would be picked up from your fedora core 9 disk instead of being downloaded from the net.

Just Joined!

Question

Also make sure Install Media is enabled as one of the repos and your fedora core 9 disk is inserted in your optical drive,
    How can I do that? I am a newbie to Linux so have no clue as to how to go about it? Please let me know the steps, or is there any good simple guide to do these steps?

Hi

Go to the directory /etc/yum.repos.d/ over there you will find a file called Fedora-install-media.repo or something similar. Open that file and look for the keyword "enabled" set "enabled=1" to enable the repo and now just install packages using yum as usual and yum will look in your fedora core 9 disk as well while searching for packages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast