Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I did a massive patch update on Fedora 9 (right after installation). The system updater had said that lots of security related updates etc. are available. After the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face [SOLVED] Fedora 9 - Menus cleanly wiped out after patch updates

Hello all,

I did a massive patch update on Fedora 9 (right after installation). The system updater had said that lots of security related updates etc. are available. After the patch update I recieved an error message that GNOME power manager is not configured properly.

Thanks to a forum member's timely helped I could remove the GNOME power manager. Now I find that my entire Navigation menu (which comes on the top) has vanished. And so has the task bar at the bottom. Any window I minimise, then becomes untraceable.

PS: This issue was there along with the GNOME power manager issue, and it did not start after I remove the power manager.

Any idea how to fix this one?

Thanks in advance,
    Sachin.

In your home directory there are hidden folders for the gnome system which define all your shortcuts, menu, toolbars etc.

If you delete these directories they'll be re-created in default format. If you're a bit edgy about doing that, you can just rename them or move them to a temporary directory. The main directories is called '.gnome2', but depending on what apps you have installed and been running there may be one called '.gnome'. Try this:

Logout. At the login screen press CTRL-ALT-F1 to take you to the text mode prompt.

Login with your regular username and password. The issue these commands:

Code:
    mkdir old_gnome
    mv .gnome* old_gnome
    Now do CTRL-D to log out, and press CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the graphical login screen and log-in as normal, and all should be well. You'll have to set your desktop up again, of course.

There may be other directories than '.gnome2' that I may have forgotten about, I'm sure others will point out any omissions on my part.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help . Will try out next time. There was some urgency involved, so I reinstalled Fedora 9 for good.