Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all ! My old secondary computer uses Fedora 8, who be installed at long months ago; I use for it DVD distr by Fedora 8. After installation OS the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I update my F8 without DVD?

Hi, all !
    My old secondary computer uses Fedora 8, who be installed at long months ago; I use for it DVD distr by Fedora 8. After installation OS the DVD device was be demounted with this computer. (I uses it as equipment small server, because I cannot updates OS many months: computer set to far-away corner by my room and uses it without shutdown many months... &#37
    But now I connect it to monitor, run X for preventive control and see that available now many-many newest packeges for updates latest Fedora 8.
    Question: can I get this updates without uses DVD distributive?
    Trick is matter, - this computer haven't DVD device now, because describes. (NB. The DVD device for installation Fedora to it, demount mine DVD temporary from other my computer - for installation process on this server-computer only.)
    // Oh, you guess, I has very big laziness for demount and mont now the two my computers, because my primary computer only has the DVD device...
    And I has sadly negative test for it updates at antecedent: on common state of stage to updates, the YUM demanding to do insert DVD F8 distr! ...wicked dog!..
    If yes can do it, how I can do it?
    NB. i.e. switcing me to Net-fully installation and updating only!
    // Edit yum config manually?.. How do it if treat it, and suggest me it as operating instructions, please!
    Thanks!

Just Joined!

How can do switcing to net-fully installation after DVD's installed Fedora?

At many years ago I was uses RHL, and last times - Fedora 8 Linux.
    NB. As server side OS, include uses it as small non-commercial server, it is very resonable resolve matter.
    And this has an underground diablerie root ^) --
    Because any user, as typify matter, was do installing the Linux by CD/DVD device, and at work time uses it server based on Linux, the updater may demanding network updates permanently. It is ordinary too. But because it, on time at time can be rip an egg-dance and sadly situation, who updates on stage resolve dependencies can be demanding by user insert to CD/DVD device the original distributive on this Linux!
    But it's frequency situation, - this users computer haven't CD/DVD device as permanently plugged for, - the user has many headache for update own server, - permanently or time at time!..
    It is many resonable to be switcing OS to net-fully only installation and updating, but after normally DVD's installation.
    NB. The switching to net-fully... it is uses on all updating process network repository only!
    Can I do it now? And how do it as clearing matter, for has I minimum of the headache?
    (And uses a common sence for it.. - but the Linux setup supply haven't an options for it now... )
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    P.S. And many environmental details has my tread "How can I update my F8 without DVD?" : http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...tml#post638293.

Did you try "yum update" if yes what was the output?
    "If we lived in a world where the better technology won out, then no doubt everybody and their aunt Fanny would be using GNU/Linux"
    Sam Varghese

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tiersen View Post
    Did you try "yum update" if yes what was the output?
    The message like it: "Insert DVD Fedora on press OK", it is after resolves dependencies of packeges to updates. Before - message "Awailable 139 packeges for update", or like it.
    But on logs I cannot find any abnormal records.
    Other services and any programs runs permanently to OK.

Just Joined!
    PS. I think, suggest it to me can be guru for yum packege. But, for my shame, I haven't knowledge of it as basis too...

Linux Newbie
    HI,
    You should be able to list the updates and only pick the ones you want, and if it still does not like to install them - note the name and download manually and install.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbag1 View Post
    HI,
    You should be able to list the updates and only pick the ones you want, and if it still does not like to install them - note the name and download manually and install.
    Hi, but I cannot separate packages who demanding any packages, available on Fedora 8 DVD, with other packages, who can be installation by network repository by Fedora Project...
    Matter cause for it is switching updater to mode like totally network installation.
    (Like to install linux without DVD, on network loader. Many years ago I try a Linux distr for installation on network totally, and I was haven't any problems for updating system - it computer has HDD only without removable devices...)

Just Joined!
    Hmm, most likely need to look in the direction of Debian's apt and synaptic...
    The RHL distr apparent lack of flexible configuration source...

You might want to give a look to Unetbootin. It's a tool that lets you install or upgrade without needing the DVD. The main fall-back is that you need to have a stable internet connection.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    You might want to give a look to Unetbootin. It's a tool that lets you install or upgrade without needing the DVD. The main fall-back is that you need to have a stable internet connection.
    Thank You, dear jayd512, for suggestion to Unetbootin.
    I'm try it now.
    PS. But, true link to it is: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads