Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am a newbie in installing sendmail from source. I am trying to install version 8.14.3 on Redhat ES 4. I already have version 8.13.1 that Redhat provided via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Sendmail on RHEL4

Hello,

I am a newbie in installing sendmail from source. I am trying to install version 8.14.3 on Redhat ES 4. I already have version 8.13.1 that Redhat provided via up2date. How do I install the new version and over right the old version? The docís I have found donít really provide much help. I have tried the following below and it appears that it did install but when I do a telnet localhost 25 I see two version of sendmail. Please advise.

Thanks,

Chris

Installing sendmail
    Download the sendmail source code from the sendmail website.

Extract the files from the downloaded file.
    Change the current directory to where the sendmail source code was extracted.
    Enter the following command:
    sh Build

If there are no errors, you may continue with the installation.
    If you are installing sendmail 8.12.x, 8.13.x, or 8.14.x
    Verify whether you have a user smmsp. Create the user if it does not exist. The user should not be assigned a login shell.
    Verify whether you have a group called smmsp.
    Enter the following command:
    sh Build install

The sendmail binary is now installed. The next step is to configure sendmail.

Configuring sendmail
    The main configuration file for sendmail is the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file. Starting with version 8.12, sendmail uses the /etc/mail/submit.cf configuration file for mail submission. The .cf files are complex to understand. It is recommended that you create a .mc configuration file and use the M4 (macro processor) to generate the .cf file.

There are some sample .mc configuration files in the cf/cf/ directory of the sendmail source code. Alternatively, you can use one of the sample configuration files available from this website. You should edit the .mc file with a UNIX text editor such as vi.

Change the current directory to cf/cf directory.
    Copy your .mc configuration file to the current directory as sendmail.mc.
    To generate the sendmail.cf, enter the following command:
    sh Build sendmail.cf

To install the sendmail.cf as /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and submit.cf as /etc/mail/submit.cf, enter the following command:
    sh Build install-cf

Just Joined!

Bump..Any ideas

Bump Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris