Find the answer to your Linux question:
i had my computer running on fedora core 2 but needed to use some windows legacy applications so i bought win95. i popped in the win95 cd and rebooted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trying to install windows 95 but fedora won't let me?!

i had my computer running on fedora core 2 but needed to use some windows legacy applications so i bought win95. i popped in the win95 cd and rebooted the computer.
    my plan was to install windows 95 over fedora then install fedora on a smaller partion.
    my computer boots up and i press f12, but it acts normally and goes to the fedora "which os to boot up" selection window. whats going wrong?!?
    this is a real strange problem that i have never encountered before but i recently switched from mandrake 10.0 to fedora so i don't really know how to work fedora yet.

anyone have a solution or know whats wrong????

sounds like you haven't set your BIOS to boot from your CD drive, that should help.

Just Joined!
    lol, i am not an idiot... my BIOS is set to read cd drive on boot up. i thought for a while the win95 cd wasn't working but when i opened it all the files where in place

i never said you where, but it sounds like it's not booting from your CD. the boot order needs to be CD then HD (Lilo/Grub) the floppy over w/e. you don't seem to be booting from the cd.

Just Joined!
    yea it does... when i wanted to install mandrake 10.0 over windows it booted up when i started the computer fine.. same when i installed fedora. its just not working when i am trying to install win95 over fedora.

(p.s. thanks for the help)

Just Joined!
    If I remember correctly (it's been a long time since I installed 95/9 you can't boot from 95. That wasn't added till ME came along.

What would be best is to get a floppy boot disk and boot from that.

Then go to you cdrom drive and you should be able to run setup from there. You might have to format c: as well. I don't think that 95 could preform a format as it was still very much based of off DOS.