Hey all,

I recently encountered an issue with one of our machines that has left me stumped. I can change the password for any user through root without a problem, but when I try to change the password for a user as themselves, I get the error:
passwd: Authentication token lock busy

I've read that people encountered this problem when trying to change root's password, and the problem was the filesystem was mounted in read-only mode, but that is not the case here. The filesystem is read-write, and root can change its own password or the password of any normal user, the problem is that normal users can't change their own passwords.

The system was re-formatted in June 08, it's running Fedora 9. The only applicable output I can find in /var/log/messages is the following:

I was already logged in as user areynolds, I simply typed passwd, entered my current password, the new password, and this is the output in /var/log/messages

Code:
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gconfd (areynolds-29181): starting (version 2.22.0), pid 29181 user 'areynolds'
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gconfd (areynolds-29181): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gconfd (areynolds-29181): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/areynolds/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gconfd (areynolds-29181): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gnome-keyring-daemon[29184]: Couldn't unlock login keyring with provided password
Oct 29 09:21:40 terry2 gnome-keyring-daemon[29184]: Failed to unlock login on startup