Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have an issue with my GRUB install that - needless to say, after MANY hours of trying to update my BIOS, reinstalling GRUB, and fiddling with HD specs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Now My Network Isn't Accessible[WAS: GRUB Stinks]

So I have an issue with my GRUB install that - needless to say, after MANY hours of trying to update my BIOS, reinstalling GRUB, and fiddling with HD specs in the BIOS - has caused me to wish to abandon GRUB. It's just not going to do what I want it to, so why bother with it?

So my problem? I decided that LILO is still the way to go, but every time I try to compile the source, I end up with errors during the configuration process of the build. I've checked just about every corner of the web, and I can't find any simple source-building info about LILO anywhere. Does anyone know of any documentation resources available for LILO?

Re: GRUB Stinks

Quote Originally Posted by Der Klempner
    So my problem? I decided that LILO is still the way to go, but every time I try to compile the source, I end up with errors during the configuration process of the build. I've checked just about every corner of the web, and I can't find any simple source-building info about LILO anywhere. Does anyone know of any documentation resources available for LILO?
    Is there a particular reason you're compiling from source? I'm quite sure there are Fedora RPMs for it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

GRUB Is Gone, But So Is My Network!

Is there a particular reason you're compiling from source? I'm quite sure there are Fedora RPMs for it.
    No, and about 10 minutes after I posted this, I found out there are binary packages available. So I downloaded one of those instead, installed it, ran LILO after setting up the .conf file, and it has overwritten GRUB. But thanks for the suggestion; it's been a while since I used RedHat, so I forgot alll about RPMs.

But now I have a different problem: my NIC won't work when I boot the system. It's configured correctly with the right IP (10.0.0.100), subnet (255.255.255.0), gateway (10.0.0.1), and DNS servers, but I can't even ping the gateway! I thought it might be an issue with IPTABLES, but I have no idea how to stop IPTABLES so I can test that theory. Any suggestions?

Just Joined!

Some More Network Info

Whenever I try to ping the gateway (10.0.0.1), here's what shows up in my error log:

eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register d0.
    Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 1(1) current 1(1)
    Transmit list 00000000 vs. 0f9722a0.
    Now, I know the NIC works fine, because if I boot from a rescue disk, I can access the network after manualy entering the NIC configuration data. It's only not working when I boot from the hard drive.