Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a newbie(very) to linux. I have new computer with preinstalled Fedora Core 2. Everything worked fine until I downloaded 76 automatic updates from UP2date. There was an installation error ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to boot after upgrade

I'm a newbie(very) to linux. I have new computer with preinstalled Fedora Core 2. Everything worked fine until I downloaded 76 automatic updates from UP2date. There was an installation error followed by promt to reboot. On reboot, 2 version numbers were displayed. Selecting either showed dialogue concerning services being started until localhost login promt was seen which was then repeated continually. Original version no. was 2.6.5-1.358 (original). Any suggestions as how to precede?.

Re: Unable to boot after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by osprey
    I'm a newbie(very) to linux. I have new computer with preinstalled Fedora Core 2. Everything worked fine until I downloaded 76 automatic updates from UP2date. There was an installation error followed by promt to reboot. On reboot, 2 version numbers were displayed. Selecting either showed dialogue concerning services being started until localhost login promt was seen which was then repeated continually. Original version no. was 2.6.5-1.358 (original). Any suggestions as how to precede?.
    So the system boots up untill you reach the text based login saying welcome to.... Login:
    ?
    The 2 versions you see on the bootmanager are the kernel versions.
    After upgrading it's set to the latest version.

You used to bootup into graphical mode ?
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the quick response

Final text is :
    localhost login

the screen is cleared and the text is repeated continuously.

Originally the boot process ended on the GUI screen (Gnome)

The 2 version numbers at the beginning of the boot gives you option of selecting one or the other kernels.

Żeah, X is trying to start but fails each time, that explains the screen 'flickering' .
    If you boot up the 'old' kernel version you should be able to bootup in graphical mode (init 5)
    The driver you have installed is only for the old kernel version, you'll need to reinstall the videodriver so that it works for the new kernel version.
    This is very common if you have an nvidia based videocard and use the nvidia driver....

But X should come up with an error after trying for some time and ask if you want it to try and continue to boot or disable it until the next reboot.
    Try booting the : 2.6.5-1.358 kernel.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for last message. Unable to proceed beca use could not access command promt. Booted SuSe CD which gave access to log file in /var/log

Messages file showed:
    messagebus: starting succeeded
    mdmonitor: mdadm starting succeeded
    mdmpd: mdmpd failed
    init: open (/dev/pts/0): no such file or directory
    init: open (/dev/pts/0): no such file or directory
    kernal: mtrr:0xd 8000000, 0x2000000 overlaps existing oxd 8000000, 0xd8000000
    gdm [2144]: gdm_slave_xio error_handler: fatal x error - restarting: 0

above line is then repeated over and over again.

Xorg.0.log file showed:
    failed to set up write-combing range (0xd 8000000, 0x2000000)

I hope this gives a clearer picture of the problem

Just Joined!

Problem circumvented

Decided to bite the bullet and have now installed SuSE instead of Fedora.
    Everything seems OK except for minor problems that may be reported later.