Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I tried to install Linux on a system which already had Win Xp on it on NTFS partitions ... It was a 80 GB HDD with around 9 partitions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot not happening

Hi

I tried to install Linux on a system which already had Win Xp on it on NTFS partitions ...
    It was a 80 GB HDD with around 9 partitions ..
    I deleted the last partition and tried to create linux partitions , it did not allow me to do that saying that the boot partition > 1024 cylinders ..
    i then used fdisk to create these partitions and installed Linux ..
    but when i rebooted i found that i only had linux boot option , windows bot option had gone .There was no option during install as to whether i need a dual boot or no , or which boot loader i need (usually it asks) ..

I has to reinstall Xp and now i have only XP boot option ... I have a Linux Bootable floppy .. so i can live , but i want to know how to make it a dual boot ...
    REd Hat Linux 7.1
    Regards
    Maxmelbin

Linux User
    You must tell us what kind of boot manager you have. Popular option are: Grub or Lilo. Both offer to boot multiple systems, but as I see in some distros you must add them individually to configuration files. This is not hard, hower, it differs between grub and lilo, so you must discover which one you have.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    its a lilo boot that comes up on restart with only one option LINUX

Linux User
    Ok, then log in as root and start editing /etc/lilo.conf file. Add the folowing lines at the end of config (excerpted from "man lilo.conf" - read it if you want to know more):
    Code:
    other = /dev/hda1
       label = dos
       table = /dev/hda
    The /dev/hda1 should specify the partition on which Windows is installed. If your not sure which number to use, look at your partition table with the "fdisk -l /dev/hda" command.
    After you make changes to the configuration file, you should run lilo, to update boot record. Just type "lilo" as the root. Now after rebooting the system Windows should appear in the menu. Regards.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"

Just Joined!
    thanx Kyku ,

that a good piece of info that i will note down ..
    but in my frustration i reinstalled windows , so now i do have only windows boot , i do have a linux bootable floppy .. so now can u help me put linux on boot options or re enable lilo , either from windows or Linux ..

I am learing .. one day i will be a Linux Guru

Max