Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am coming out of 12 years of windows usage and I'm trying to convert to Linux. I know windows backwards and forwards. I don't know jack about Linux. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    M3K
    Just Joined!

complete Linux newbie.. needs assistance.

I am coming out of 12 years of windows usage and I'm trying to convert to Linux. I know windows backwards and forwards. I don't know jack about Linux. I do know that I can't seem to get the graphics card, sound card, NIC, or Wireless NIC to work with Linux. I don't even know how to use the drivers that I downloaded. The just don't seem to work. I have a Dell Inspirion 8600 with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo (128 Meg DDR) video Card. I have the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller for my NIC. I have the Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (suspect this is Broadcom as well) wireless NIC. And I have the Sigma Tel C-Major Audio (suspect built onto the motherboard). If anyone out there has pity on someone trying to convert, please help me out. This is pretty frustrating. I'm sure once I have it fixed, I will probably love Linux, but it has me beating my head against the wall right now. Right now I'm set up with Dual Boot Win XP Pro and RH9. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Just Joined!
    The first Linux distro I used was Knoppix....It's a Linux distro that runs off a CD, and can also be installed onto the harddrive...It auto-detects the hardware and works quite well...

And about your video card...ATI has Linux drivers on their website if I'm not mistaken

Sorry I couldn't have been more help

M3K
    Just Joined!

Knoppix?

Where would I find Knoppix? Also Because this is a laptop ATI tells me that for my specific video card I have to go to Dell. Dell isn't posting any drivers for this video card...

Just Joined!
    www.linuxiso.org The latest version if quite stable.

M3K
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, will try it out!

Linux Enthusiast
    something to remember when using linux as a convert from windows:
    Linux works on a different principle than windows.
    Windows applications usually have all the functions rolled into
    the program, an all-in-one approach to each program.
    Linux/Unix is like a huge structure of legos. Each program is usaually
    small and designed to do one thing (excluding apps like OpenOffice)
    and do it well, also like a toolkit.

M3K
    Just Joined!

Legos

that is really good analogy. Mandrake linux is the distro that seems to like my laptop the best. I'm slowly making headway. You are right about specific programs for specific tasks. Not an easy concept to start out with, but I'm starting to catch on to the benefits!