Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am the noobiest of noobs and i'm in desperate need of help. The last couple of days i've been toiling over how to install Red hat linux 9. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red hat Linux 9 beginning installation problems

I am the noobiest of noobs and i'm in desperate need of help. The last couple of days i've been toiling over how to install Red hat linux 9. I have three of the cd's that came with the "Red Hat linux 9 Bible." My current operating system is Windows 2000.

My computer won't boot up using the cd's, so i decided to change the order so that my cd rom boots, but for some reason, it didnt change anything. I gave up trying to change the BIOS becuase my motherboard is kind of old. So, instead I made a boot disk first from rawwrite, which didn't work and gave me the following message upon rebooting my computer:

BOOT FAILED: PLEASE CHANGE DISKS AND PRESS A KEY TO CONTINUE

Then, I found rawwritewin. Which I used to make my new boot disk. The boot disk worked swimmingly. It booted up right to the Red hat 9 Main Installation Screen, which give me the options, like F1, Main, F2 options F3 General, etc... Whatever i do, it says Loading VMLINUZ.... and is followed by:

BOOT FAILED: PLEASE CHANGE DISKS AND PRESS A KEY TO CONTINUE

Please help me out or atleast direct me in the right direction where I could find help for this type of situation.

Thanks, Munexmasa

from the way you worded it, it sounds like you only have the rh9-linux bible cd's, not the bible itself. cos in the bible, it gives many ways to install if your cd doesnt work. you might also want to make sure your cd drive is a bootable drive. if you need the bible, just let me know, cos i have a copy, so i can transcribe from it for you if you need help
    good luck, and feel free to contact me
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    I do have the Red Hat linux 9 Bible. It shows how to do cd-rom and boot disk. everything else i can't do or have no purpose doing. they assume the cd and the cd rom works so i'm kind of stuck there. and it just shows how to make a boot disk. it doens't address the possible problems that may occur.

hmmm so i assume you can't do a network install of any kind?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I suppose i cant

hmmm. that sucks. umm well did you check to make sure that your cd-drive is bootable?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    It works, but its not bootable. I set the BIOS to boot from CDRom but it didnt work.

Ok, are you positive that you cannot change the motherboard to boot from the cd drive? if its simply an error of getting the changes to save, that can be addressed.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Nope i'm positive, i've saved it. and it definitely doesnt boot from my cdrom.

this isn't meant as an insult cos i can't count how many times i've done this: did you make sure that you're booting from CD #1
    also, it could be that the floppy is bad. you might have more success if you:
    1)take a BRAND NEW floppy
    2) format it
    3)then do rawritewin on it
    good luck
    -lakerdonald

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast