Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Redhat 9 and I cannot get the resoultion for XFree to go anything above 800x600. I have read other solutions to this problem which involve tweaking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XFree Resolution Problem (please help!)

I have just installed Redhat 9 and I cannot get the resoultion for XFree to go anything above 800x600. I have read other solutions to this problem which involve tweaking settings in the BIOS, but my settings are all fine. I have a Radeon 8500LE and Xfree notices it does have 64mb of video ram (or whatever). I am running a dual boot system, and I have no resolution problems in Windows. Please HELP! Thanks in advance.

do you have the AIT drivers installed?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I have the radeon driver selected in XFree. On the ATI site, they dont have drivers for XFree version 4... only 1-3.

yup thats part of the problem, ive heard of ports that people have made, but you might have to consider rolling back your verison of Xfree, its an unfortunet dillema, ATI is a little lazy and doesnt seem to like their Linux user base too much.....

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Ah man . Can you give some instructions on how to do that Remember... n00b. And also, by downgrading... what would i be losing (features, etc). Thanks for the help btw.
    Also, if theres any way you could give me a link or something to a port... it'd be greatly appreciated.

I've never really looked for them, but I think you can get resonable performace with the use of Xorg and the ati drivers. Also poke around, RH generaly has some pretty comprehensive GUI config tools make sure you dont just need to add the resolution to your xfree86.conf

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I tried editing the Xfree86.config manually... and it messed it up, and then made a new one on reboot.

Linux Engineer
    Did that allow you to input valid screen sizes?

In the monitor section of the XF86config file there will be a list of available resolutions. Make sure your one is in there. Then cycle through using ctrl alt keypad+
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Ah, nevermind.... I found a driver. Thanks guys!