Find the answer to your Linux question:
This error was first reported here as a "Add/Remove Software" error, in this thread. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...tml#post649611 I have since gotten a similar error when trying to run the "Services" application. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

org.freedesktop Error.

This error was first reported here as a "Add/Remove Software" error, in this thread.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...tml#post649611

I have since gotten a similar error when trying to run the "Services" application. It failed to start, so I ran it from the terminal, and got this message.
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.fedoraproject.Config.Services.ServiceHerd er" member "list_services" error name "(unset)" destination ":1.63")
    This is a new installation of Fedora 10, and updated using YUM.

Fedora 10
    Gnome desktop
    2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Looks like some has sorted out this problem here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Thanks, but did you have to post a link to our arch-enemy!

I found reference to the problem, and a fix in the works, on the Fedora Forums.
    D-Bus related problems - FedoraForum.org
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I tried the recommended fix, by upgrading with yum. It failed because of package dependencies. I will give it some time, and try again later. I did just enable the rpmfusion repositories, so maybe that is part of the dependency problem.

Edit: I disabled the rpmfusion repositories, and still couldn't get the update. I don't think that the fix is in the repositories yet.
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-09-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Linux Guru
    Using the fix suggested by leigh123 here, I ran this command.
    Code:
    su
    yum --enablerepo=u*g update gnome-packagekit kpackagekit
    I then rebooted, and the add/remove software appllication seems to work again. I still could not start he Services application.

I then was able to run yum to update it, without any dependency errors.

Linux Guru
    There are three packages released to fix this problem:
    PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10
    gnome-packagekit-0.3.12-1.fc10
    kpackagekit-0.3.1-9.fc10

They are not in the repositories yet, but they are available through here.
    https://admin.fedoraproject.org/upda...t-0.3.1-9.fc10

I tried manually installing them. The gnome-packagekit installed OK. But when I tried to install the PackageKit rpm, this is what I got.
    Code:
    # rpm -Uvh PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
        PackageKit-glib = 0.3.12-1.fc10 is needed by PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386
        PackageKit-udev-helper = 0.3.12-1.fc10 is needed by PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386
        PackageKit-yum = 0.3.12-1.fc10 is needed by PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386
        PackageKit-yum-plugin = 0.3.12-1.fc10 is needed by PackageKit-0.3.12-1.fc10.i386
        PackageKit = 0.3.11-4.fc10 is needed by (installed) PackageKit-glib-0.3.11-4.fc10.i386
        PackageKit = 0.3.11-4.fc10 is needed by (installed) PackageKit-yum-0.3.11-4.fc10.i386
    And when i tried to install the kpackagekit rpm, this is what I got.
    Code:
     rpm -Uvh kpackagekit-0.3.1-9.fc10.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
        libpackagekit-qt.so.11 is needed by kpackagekit-0.3.1-9.fc10.i386
    It looks like dependency hell, I'll wait for the official fix for this one.

oz
    forum.guy
    From what I've been reading in various places, we are about to go through a *kit oriented phase with Policykit, Packagekit, and Consolekit. Maybe other *kits to follow?

Wonder if all distros plan to implement any, or all of them?
    oz