Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am having a system having Win XP and Fedora . I wish to uninstall Fedora for some system maintenance reasons but donot know how to . as i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to uninstall Fedora from a dual boot system

Hi
    I am having a system having Win XP and Fedora . I wish to uninstall Fedora for some system maintenance reasons but donot know how to . as i am having a dual boot system, i am afraid if i remove linux partition, i may not be able to start windows also. pl help

Hi and Welcome !

First of all, boot up from Windows Installation CD and select repair. Execute Fixmbr command at repair prompt. It will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up by default on reboot.

Type diskmgmt.msc in RUN dialog box. Partition Management Tool window will pop up. All partitions marked as Unknown are Fedora partitions. Delete those or do whatever you want.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

First of all, boot up from Windows Installation CD and select repair. Execute Fixmbr command at repair prompt. It will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up by default on reboot.

Type diskmgmt.msc in RUN dialog box. Partition Management Tool window will pop up. All partitions marked as Unknown are Fedora partitions. Delete those or do whatever you want.
    I have been trying to uninstall fedora from my pc as well. And wanting to boot from my CD drive. And windows will not even boot. Or show that it is trying to. How can I fix this issue??

Linux Guru
    How did you try to 'uninstall' Fedora? What are you trying to boot from your CD? xp? What else, if anything, do you have on your computer, other OS's? Do you have your CD drive set first boot priority in BIOS?

well, boot into windows xp then delete the lux partitions. then go into windows cd repait command mode and type "fixmbr". reboot your machine. then when you log into windows take the empty partitions and make it windows. well, it you don't wan't to use fixmbr then use the windows repair mode. it comes just before you have to press f8 during windows installation. goodluck.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahajan_manish View Post
    Hi
    I am having a system having Win XP and Fedora . I wish to uninstall Fedora for some system maintenance reasons but donot know how to . as i am having a dual boot system, i am afraid if i remove linux partition, i may not be able to start windows also. pl help
    please help me to remove fedora

Quote Originally Posted by hirankaushalya View Post
    Is there any other OS installed in your machine?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

They have already told you how to remove it.
    "A graphical user interface is just a mask. What lies beneath is what matters."

What have you done, if anything, already?
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.