Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have just installed redhat linux on my computer. i installed the personal setting thing but added in both desktop (gnome and the other one). but when i start up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

redhat graphics mode

i have just installed redhat linux on my computer. i installed the personal setting thing but added in both desktop (gnome and the other one). but when i start up it will not load windows x. this is very frustrating in that i don't know how to start any programs. this is my very first time using a linux computer. i would like some help fast. i really want to get my computer up and running

Could you post your computer specs? Also, what sort of errors do you get when you try to run the startx command? More than likely this is due to a misconfigured video card. Give us a few more details and maybe we can get you up and running.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i have a dell dimension 2400 pentium 4 2.53 i have a dvd-rw and a dvd-rom drive 256ram 40gb hard drive. the error it is telling me is no screens found.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok. That just means that Fedora couldn't autodetect your card and set up X Windows by itself. You'll need to find out what kind of video card you have and then log in as root by typing:

Code:
    su
    It will ask you for your root (Administrator) password. Enter it, then type:

Code:
    xf86config -textmode
    This will bring up some menus that will guide you through the setup of your X Windows configuration. Just follow the steps, and if you get hung up, post what you didn't get and we'll go from there.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    alright..well just another little question here..is ferderoa the same thing as redhat?

Just Joined!
    ok i login as root. then i typed in the command xf86config-textmode and it just said -bash: xf86config-textmode: command not found.....and my graphics card is a intel845

Quote Originally Posted by loserbob4
    ok i login as root. then i typed in the command xf86config-textmode and it just said -bash: xf86config-textmode: command not found.....and my graphics card is a intel845
    Fedora Core is an Open Source Community distribution based on the same code base as Redhat's version of Linux, so yes, they're essentially the same thing. The problem you're having is that you didn't but a space between the commands:

Code:
    xf86config -textmode
    That's NOT the same as xf86config-textmode. There's a space between the command "xf86config" and the option you're giving it "-textmode". Try that again.

Also, if it asks you what driver you'd like to use, since you have an integrated Intel card you'll want to choose the "VESA" driver (may not be in all caps).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i ran the xf86config -textmode and answered all of its questions and wrote it to the file that it had selected. then i typed in startx and it came up with fatal server error: no screens found.

Just Joined!
    the error screen in more discription reads like this:

module loader present
    oskernel:linux version 2.4.18-14
    (==)log file:"/var/log/XFree86.0.log",time thu sep 16 19:53
    (==)using config file:"/etc/X11/XF86Config"
    (EE)no devices detected

Fatal error no screens found

XIO: Fatal IO error 104(connection request by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 request (0 known processed) with 0 evens remaining.

Just Joined!
    could someone please help me with my problem..should i reinstall redhat? im am a complete newbie at this

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast