Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, has anybody installed netscape on fedora II. On my machine some shared libraries are installed in another version (64 bit). Can I install these libs without messing up my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Netscape on Fedora Core II (64 bit)

Hello,

has anybody installed netscape on fedora II.
    On my machine some shared libraries are installed in another version (64 bit).
    Can I install these libs without messing up my system?

thank you in advance

regards
    Jürgen

Re: Netscape on Fedora Core II (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by juergen
    Hello,

has anybody installed netscape on fedora II.
    On my machine some shared libraries are installed in another version (64 bit).
    Can I install these libs without messing up my system?

thank you in advance

regards
    Jürgen
    Are you specifically installing Netscape, or do you mean Mozilla? Installing libraries is always risky, particularly in an RPM-based system like Fedora Core. As long as the libraries you need don't conflict with the ones already installed, you should be safe, though. I've never had to install libraries to run a web browser myself.. but I use Mozilla Firefox...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe

Are you specifically installing Netscape, or do you mean Mozilla? Installing libraries is always risky, particularly in an RPM-based system like Fedora Core. As long as the libraries you need don't conflict with the ones already installed, you should be safe, though. I've never had to install libraries to run a web browser myself.. but I use Mozilla Firefox...
    Hi,

I just want to have a browser which supports Java and includes a newsreader. I think Mozilla doesn't support News, right?
    I really have a problem with libraries. I also get problems installing VMware :o(
    I really regret having installed the 64 bit version of Fedora :o(

reagrds

Jürgen

Hi,

I just want to have a browser which supports Java and includes a newsreader. I think Mozilla doesn't support News, right?
    I really have a problem with libraries. I also get problems installing VMware :o(
    I really regret having installed the 64 bit version of Fedora :o(

reagrds

Jürgen
    I know Firefox doesn't have a newsreader, but I think the full Mozilla Suite does... and if it doesn't, the email program from Mozilla, Thunderbird, does. Have you been having that much trouble from 64-bit Fedora? I'd thought about using it myself with my new system.. as it is I have 64-bit SuSE.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Isnt mozilla pracktlly netscape.
    (sorry for bad spelling )

Quote Originally Posted by the_nerd
    Isnt mozilla pracktlly netscape.
    (sorry for bad spelling )
    No. Mozilla is the code base that Netscape released to the public in 1998. The Mozilla foundation, unlike AOL or Netscape, is a not-for-profit entity founded in 2003. Netscape is no longer actively developed by AOL, and newer versions of Netscape (7.2) are really just rebranded versions of Mozilla 1.7. Though technically cousins, Mozilla and Netscape are not, and never were, the same thing. Here is a source for a bit more history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I know Firefox doesn't have a newsreader, but I think the full Mozilla Suite does... and if it doesn't, the email program from Mozilla, Thunderbird, does. Have you been having that much trouble from 64-bit Fedora? I'd thought about using it myself with my new system.. as it is I have 64-bit SuSE.
    Hi Techie,

no not really, but I have no time to try out everything on my own. It seems that there are no libs included in the distro for backward compatibiility. Or maybe I just haven't found them.
    In the end I think I go back to Fedora C2 for 32 bit machines.
    It also seems that there is not a noticeable difference between 32 bit/64 bit operating systems and my system is still far away from crashing against physical memory borders :o)

regards
    Juergen

In the end I think I go back to Fedora C2 for 32 bit machines.
    It also seems that there is not a noticeable difference between 32 bit/64 bit operating systems and my system is still far away from crashing against physical memory borders :o)

regards
    Juergen
    Yeah, 64-bit is still bleeding edge right now and not a lot of things support it yet. You're probably safe sticking with 32-bit for the time being. I just built an AMD64 system and I'm going to use SuSE 9.1 64-bit on it, just to see how it performs. The reviews I've read on 32 vs 64-bit say that unless you're running 64-bit code on a 64-bit chip, their performance isn't any different from a 32-bit while running 32-bit code (which makes sense, since 32-bit code can't take advantage of the new registers and whatnot).

My main reason for going 64-bit is just to be ready when it does hit more mainstream. It's kind of like the PCIexpress vs AGP thing; PCIexpress will become the new standard, since it's twice as fast among other improvements, but the market has yet to embrace it so at the moment AGP is king.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants