Find the answer to your Linux question:
When installing Fedora core 2 onto an old laptop that I had, I noticed there was an option when partitioning that allowed you to install fedora on the free disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core install to free disk space??

When installing Fedora core 2 onto an old laptop that I had, I noticed there was an option when partitioning that allowed you to install fedora on the free disk space available on the drive, instead of to a dedicated partition. Has anyone actually tried this with installing Fedora next to a windows XP environment so that you have a dual boot system? and If so, how reliable is it?

unfun

Just Joined!
    Good just make sure you have an enogh free unformatted disk space. Not just the amont free disk space windows says in my computer. Goto contol panle admin tools goto computer management then to disk management. to see how much unformated free space there is.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I've set up dual-boot machines with several Linuxes including Fedora Core side-by-side with MS Windows XP on both the same harddrive and different harddrives and it does just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I wanted to take a single drive machine with the partition using the entire drives space, and be able to install linux in say the 20gb of space I still have within my NTFS system. I take it that wont work.... am I right?

T.

Quote Originally Posted by unfun72
    I wanted to take a single drive machine with the partition using the entire drives space, and be able to install linux in say the 20gb of space I still have within my NTFS system. I take it that wont work.... am I right?

T.
    Yeah, as far as I know Linux doesn't work with NTFS very well. The 2.6 kernel lets you read from it but writing to it has never been a terribly safe practice. If you can, you might try resizing your NTFS partition and leaving the extra 20GB unformatted. Some distros offer resizing of partitions. Whenever I needed to do something with NTFS I tended to use Partition Magic, but I'm pretty sure there's a free alternative.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants