Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
with 128 mb of ram that is your major problem....you need more ram at least 512 i also have a laptop that came with 256 of ram so i added ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

with 128 mb of ram
    that is your major problem....you need more ram at least 512 i also have a laptop that came with 256 of ram so i added more to make it 512 you will notice difference right away....

no offense the the fedora core people, but I noticed a huge jump in performance when I moved to Slackware 10

My 2 cents

Mike

Linux Guru
    If you're looking for speed, you more then likely won't find it with the resource hogs like MDK and FDC. Try something a little slimmer like Ubuntu.

AS you are though, try disabling any services that startup automatically that you don't need. For example, you may have stuff like Samba running even if you don't need it. If you don't know what it is, I wouldn't suggest disabling it (or ask us).

You could also try uninstalling applications that you don't use. One more thing to try is to make sure not loading any kernel modules you don't need.

As last resort, you could look into re-compliing your kernel to your specific architecture.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    or, as jeremy said, move to a slimmer distro like Ubuntu. Or you can try Yoper, which is WICKED fast on i686. Or, if you're not of the faint-of-heart, you can try Gentoo, which allows you to optimize EVERYTHING for your specific needs. I used to use Fedora, and i found Yoper much faster.

Linux Newbie

Distro BS IMHO

Hi,

I wouldn't listen to the Distro promo's, it wont solve you problem...

(I am running Gentoo, FC2, RHEL3)

I think that the RAM is a problem, is it only the web-browser that is really slow or is it other applications as well?

Open a terminal and run a "top" in that window (will give you live performance readings) and then start some apps. Look for the "Swap used" percentidge.

Let me know how it goes.

//jonas

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    no offense the the fedora core people, but I noticed a huge jump in performance when I moved to Slackware 10

My 2 cents

Mike
    i agree with you.....fc2 for some odd reason eat a lots of ram....i am also trying out slackware and noticed the HUGE jump in performance....i admit i m very used to rpm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2