Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, i've got fedora installed and got my internet working, now I need to figure out why it seems to be running slow. For example when i click on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fedora is running slow

Ok, i've got fedora installed and got my internet working, now I need to figure out why it seems to be running slow. For example when i click on the web browser icon its generally takes about 10 to 15 seconds for it to load up. Maybe this is normal for linux but I would hope not. My laptop is a 2.8 ghz celeron processor with 128 cache with 128 mb of ram. I'm not sure what i need to tell you guys so that you will be able to help me out, so please if you have to the time to help, let me know i need to post so that you can help me

As root:

Code:
    hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    ok i typed this in and it qives me a list of options, so what am I supposed to do? I tried -Q but didn't do anything as far as i could see

Linux Newbie
    It sounds like you are running with a lot of your processes in the swap space. If you are running Gnome or KDE, you really need a minimum of 256Mb of RAM.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Quote Originally Posted by zshutters
    ok i typed this in and it qives me a list of options, so what am I supposed to do? I tried -Q but didn't do anything as far as i could see
    Can you post the output?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    ok i was typing the command in wrong, here is what i got:

/dev/hda:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)

But still no change in performance. I am going to buy some more ram hopefully tomorrow, but I have a feeling that it will only help a little. Is there anything else I can check and post on here for someone to look at and possibly help me out?

Linux Newbie
    Open the Info Center (it should be under system tools in the redhat menu (start menu)) Look and see how much swap you're using. If you are using alot of swap (more than 30%), you'll notice a huge speed increase with an increase in RAM. Also see how much application ram there is. If it's full, that's what ur problem is. You'd be surprised how much difference ram makes in speed!
    N3WO

Just Joined!
    here is what i have:

Total physical memory: 187.09 MB
    Free physical memory: 6.70 MB
    Shared memory: 0.00 KB
    Disk buffers: 11.65 MB
    Disk Cache: 80.13 MB

Total swap memory: 376.52 MB
    Free swap memory: 376.41 MB

total free memory 67%
    used physical memory 32%
    dish cache 42%
    application data 47%
    free swap 99%

Linux Newbie
    well, I guess I was wrong about your need for more ram! sorry about the misguided suggestion I'm unhappy to say I don't know what is causing your FC2 installation to run so slow . I'm kinda a newb myself, and I wish you the best of luck.
    N3WO

Just Joined!
    Anyone else have any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast