Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm unable to add a Samba printer to my RHEL 4 Update 5 O/S. I can ping the IP address of the printer, and I've also run a traceroute ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Lia
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Samba printing- NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Hi,
    I'm unable to add a Samba printer to my RHEL 4 Update 5 O/S. I can ping the IP address of the printer, and I've also run a traceroute to confirm that it's resolving cleanly. I tried a workaround in the hopes that it would work:
    1) added another Samba printer that I wasn't having issues with
    2) then edited it with the details of the Samba printer that I couldn't add
    That's all well and good except now when I try to print to it (lpr -P[printername] [filetoprint] I'm getting and error- NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL which then changes to Unable to connect to Samba host.

I've checked my /etc/cups/printer.conf file to verify that the setup was fine- which it is. I've also restarted cups and smb just to be safe, but no luck.
    The weird thing is that I'm able to add and this same printer to another server with the same configuration and print to it as well!

I would appreciate any assistance on how to get this printer to work. Please help!

Thanks,
    Lia.

Lia
    Just Joined!

Post Further information

Hi,
    I was able to run some diagnostics and found that when a job is sent to that printer it's trying to ports: 445 and 139: but neither is allowing is through. Now the prints would be from Linux to the printer which is on a Windows machine. I'm thinking this problem lies on the Windows end but I'm not sure.
    Any ideas on how to open this port, or even what could be blocking it in the first place? Thanks.