Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im new to Linux so please bear with me. I'm trying to setup a ssh connection from to my house that way I can learn Linux on a box that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos 5 ssh problem

Im new to Linux so please bear with me. I'm trying to setup a ssh connection from to my house that way I can learn Linux on a box that won't make my boss the sys admin grind his teeth. He say that ssh port is allowing connections out of the firewall but not in so I can connect to my house. However If I try to connect to my box I get a message stating that the connection has time out. I have port forwarded port 22 to my box and have even changed the port to see if it is my isp blocking me. I am able to connect via SSH internally but when I try outside my house I am running into trouble. I looked up how to disable my fire wall and as far as I know it is.

disable firewall - Howto disable the iptables firewall in Linux

All help is VERY MUCH appreciated

Linux Newbie
    I could be wrong, however i believe that if your work cannot receive packets on port 22 (SSH port) then your Linux box wont be able to send packets back to your PC at work.
    Linux is the OS of tomorrow, Here today!!

Linux Enthusiast
    I think you'll find that port 22 is only needed to establish an inbound connection.
    The ssh server will use the established connection to send/receive data, no need for port 22 on the originating host.

How is your home computer connected to the internet. If it's via a router then you'll have to forward port 22 to your linux box.
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by matonb View Post
    I think you'll find that port 22 is only needed to establish an inbound connection.
    The ssh server will use the established connection to send/receive data, no need for port 22 on the originating host.

How is your home computer connected to the internet. If it's via a router then you'll have to forward port 22 to your linux box.
    I said that I change the port number in order to see if cox my isp was blocking it and I have port forwarded it to the linux box Im just gonna plugg in the box directly to the modem to see if which is the culprate