Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I need to install JDK on a system running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3. I only have ssh access to the system, so i can only use the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install JDK via the command line on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3

Hello,

I need to install JDK on a system running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3. I only have ssh access to the system, so i can only use the command line for the installation.
    I tried doing:
    Code:
    yum search jdk.
    But , the results only showed openjdk, which is not what i would like to install.
    I also tried downloading using the following command:
    Code:
    wget http://www.java.net/download/jdk6/6u2/promoted/b02/binaries/jdk-6u2-ea-bin-b02-linux-i586-12_apr_2007-rpm.bin
    , but it didnt work

Am i going wrong somewhere ?. Any tips for helping me install jdk via the command line on RHEL 5.3 would be really appreciated.

Thank You.

download the jdk you want, i assume you want sun jdk, then upload it to your server, you probably have ftp access, if not you can use SCP to upload it, then install it, I would just download the jdk you want from the sun website

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply coopstah. I dont have ftp access, and even though i have ssh account on the server i think my account doesnt have right to transfer files to the server, so scp gives permission denied.
    Is there any other way to install jdk on RHEL 5.3 ?

Thanks a lot.

use wget on the server, you will have to provide it with the direct link to the jdk you want to install, it should download it

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply coopstah . I tried using wget to download jdk directly by issuing the following command:
    Code:
    wget http://www.java.net/download/jdk6/6u2/promoted/b02/binaries/jdk-6u2-ea-bin-b02-linux-i586-12_apr_2007-rpm.bin
    But that didnt work. Perhaps im not using the correct link . It would be really nice if you could give me the right link for downloading jdk correctly using wget.

Thanks a lot.

that isn't a valid link, don't know where you got that link from

I can't just give you a link, you have to say what jdk you want and for what architecture. For example, this is latest sun jdk for x86

http://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....linux-i586.bin