Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i've just installed rh9 onto my (now) dual boot system, alongside xp and the install has just finished and i've got the localhost login in front of me. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

login problems, redhat virgin!

Hi i've just installed rh9 onto my (now) dual boot system, alongside xp and the install has just finished and i've got the localhost login in front of me. I pretty sure I didn't add a password or user, the only password I added was for the administrator which when tried doesn't work.

Is their anything I can do to disable the login prompt. I've never user Linux before so am looking forward to giving it a go as soon as I get over this hurdle!

Thanks in advance,
    Kev

Linux Newbie
    If all you did was create a root account, you need to type "root" at the "Username:" prompt. Then hit enter, and then enter the root password. If this works, you can then create a user for yourself (DON"T RUN AS ROOT for ordinary tasks; you can delete system files without knowing it, and you are more prone to hackers and viruses) If you can't login as root, and I'm assuming you havent saved any personal data on ur linux partition, yo ucan always re-install and make sure to create a user account when RH prompts you to do so.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    Hi thanks for the reply, just tried that and if i type in root it comes up with
    [root@localhost root]#
    if I type in the username there i get
    -bash: root: command not found

maybe a reinstall would be a good idea, when installing I also had a problem with booting into xp I now get a "ntldr is missing" message when booting up.

Quote Originally Posted by arctickev
    Hi thanks for the reply, just tried that and if i type in root it comes up with
    [root@localhost root]#
    if I type in the username there i get
    -bash: root: command not found
    Ok. Before you reinstall, hold on. If you've got a prompt, such as [root@localhost root]# that means you've already logged in as root and don't need to enter "root". It's not a command. Since you're able to log in as root all you need to do to get going normally is create a regular user by typing:

Code:
    adduser username
    Replace "username" with the name you want to use to log in. It will ask a bunch of questions, none of which you have to answer, just hit ENTER and let the defaults happen. Then you'll have to set the password for the user, by typing:

Code:
    passwd username
    Again, change "username" to whatever name you chose, enter your personal login password (MUST be different from the root password), verify it by typing it again, then log out from root by typing exit and log in using the name you just set up.

maybe a reinstall would be a good idea, when installing I also had a problem with booting into xp I now get a "ntldr is missing" message when booting up.
    WAIT! This can be fixed without reinstalling. Check the forums, I know this question has been answered before.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Wahey it worked!!!

Thank you very much techie moe thats worked and I'm in. Another quick question though, how do I now move from the command prompt to the actual desktop?

Thanks again for your help, can't wait to get started now !!!!

Kev

Provided you installed and configured X Windows when you installed the OS, you should just be able to type startx and see a desktop of some sort. If not, post the errors you get and we'll see if we can get you a desktop up.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    That sounds good. I didn't realize that u were only on the command prompt.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I've now got the desktop up, and I've been messing around with the settings!!

Can you get DVD burning software that runs on rh9?

Thanks again.

I like red hat.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by arctickev
    Thanks, I've now got the desktop up, and I've been messing around with the settings!!

Can you get DVD burning software that runs on rh9?

Thanks again.

I like red hat.
    if you've got KDE installed, check out k3b, it's the best DVD burning software i know of for linux.