Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Linux web server (now up and running thanks to members of this forum) with port forwarding from my XP machine through the firewall. I asked my mate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Port forward security issues

I have a Linux web server (now up and running thanks to members of this forum) with port forwarding from my XP machine through the firewall. I asked my mate to check out the connection and the next thing I know he's all over my network. Which is good - 'cos I immediately stopped the port forwarding. This is bad. How do I isolate the access to my network once a net request is port forwarded to the Linux machine? I am told that I need to put in green and orange zones and, although my mate is coming over to help me do this, it requires another PC to do it.

if the XP machine is your access point, then before it even gets forwarded its already on the xp machine. why not make the linux machine the access point and forward to the XP machine?

Just Joined!
    There are many reasons - they would take a while to list. Suffice to say that it is the way it is for a reason, mostly because the XP PC doesn't look like a PC and is "allowed by management" to be in the living room. It may be an option. Although this "green" and "orange" network bit is intriguing.

easiest thing you could do is buy a 30-40$$ linksys or some type of router. that way all computers are treated equal and you can port forward how you please