Find the answer to your Linux question:
During the start up of RH Enterprise, it will boot fine until it tries to start a service called 'local' When it does try to start this service it just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH Enterprise stalling during start-up

During the start up of RH Enterprise, it will boot fine until it tries to start a service called 'local' When it does try to start this service it just stops. If I press Crtl Alt Delete the system will reboot properly but it wont go past that point. If I enter Interactive mode and select not to start that specific service called 'local', everything else works fine and the desktop comes with with no problems.

Is there anyone that has had this problem before? or knows how to disable that service or know what it is linked to?

Thanx

Linux Guru
    In my Fedora Core 1, the last script to run in the boot process (as dictated by /etc/inittab) is /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99local which is a symbolic link to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, the content of which follows:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
    # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
    # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    Run 'man inittab' to understand the boot sequence and check your rc.local script.

If you need more help, and none comes forth, you should give more information, like 'how did you get to this point', 'what have you tried'.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I couldn't find anything in the rc.local that looked like it was the problem

Ok I will try to describe the problem a little better.
    The computer is: Red Hat Enterprise Server with Oracle installed on a Dual P4 Dell server (4600 from memory).
    Grub will come up and allow me to choose a kernel and then will continue to detect devices and etc. When it comes to loading services (where it list's them and has 'ok' or failed' listed after them) it loads about 98% of the services. The system stops during runlevel 5. I will list the 3 services before it stalls:
    cups {ok}
    vncserver {ok}
    atd {ok}

After atd has loaded, it stops. I have left it for 2 days and it hasnt moved.
    If I enter interactive mode and press yes for all the services except the one straight after atd (which is called local) and then select yes for all the services after local. The system boots up fine (to the desktop) and I can log in and do whatever I want. It's a pain having to enter interactive mode everytime I want to reboot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I was rather hoping someone that knows more would have responded. I don't know much, but I'll do what I can.

You do not need to start up interactively. With Linux, you always have choices, and start up procedure is full of choices. Check this link which may give some insight into the "touch" commands in the init scripts.

If you are able to verify that the "local" scripts are of no value, they can be eliminated from the start up routine. As mentioned in my previous post, for runlevel 5 on my system, the local script is run because of the existence of /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99local. If that file (it's a symbolic link) is deleted, the local script will not be run under that runlevel (5).

So that should let you boot automatically. Even so, doing this seems to me a bit unnatural. My local script (as shown in a previous post) is nothing more that a touch command which should not hang your init script as long as you have write permission to the /var/lock/subsys/ folder. Along with my previous suggestion of reviewing the inttab manual page I would add also the init manual page.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better