Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by theGrim I had mentioned it so that I could state that I have run into situations where the kernel had no support for a sound card/and or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Re: mixer

Quote Originally Posted by theGrim
    I had mentioned it so that I could state that I have run into situations where the kernel had no support for a sound card/and or no module support. Therefore the mixer would not load.

Sounds kinda like you took it personally? Sorry if I hurt yer feelings er something.
    Now that I look at it, it does come across as that. Nope, I was just being succinct and trying to keep from duplicating the effort. A lot of times people will not read the whole thread before posting something that's already been said.

as long as sound is configured in the kernel then your right just reconfigure the module. If the kernel was originally packaged with sound turned off though well then...

Hey im just trying to be a bit helpful as well throwing my $.02 in.
    No problem. So you've run into kernels that had sound turned off before? Do you remember what distros and/or versions those were?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    No problem. So you've run into kernels that had sound turned off before? Do you remember what distros and/or versions those were?
    Ya they were older back in the day though early versions of Redhat and Slackware.
    Ive long since used the default kernel I always build a custom one that I use. So I have no idea what they package in now days.

Although im running FC2 I have no idea what the default kernel includes.
    My bad on that, but I didn't want to discount that as an option.

Guess I should load up the default kernel and see whats there.

Quote Originally Posted by theGrim
    Guess I should load up the default kernel and see whats there.
    I think you'll find that most times these days the default kernels include most everything an everyday user will need as far as sound and networking built into them (at least the most popular distros; I can't speak for them all). The notable exception of course is 3D drivers, since none of the major players have GPL-compatible drivers that *could* be put into the kernel.. But that's another subject.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I did what you said (/sbin/alsaconf) it still says no such file or directory, please help, I went to the Alsa site but i dont know which file to download. Thanks for your assistance so far, it is appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2