Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get the fonts to look better on my Fedora 2/Gnome system. I want the "crisp" font look that XP has. I would like to have fonts without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fonts look like hell...

I'm trying to get the fonts to look better on my Fedora 2/Gnome system. I want the "crisp" font look that XP has. I would like to have fonts without "font smoothing" or "anti-aliasing" but when I turn it off everything looks like crap.

Things I've tried:

1. Turned off "anti aliasing" by selecting monochrome in font preferences. (made everything even look worse.)

2. Downloaded and installed True Type fonts.

I would really like to get all the M$ software off my system but I can't commit to Linux until I get this font issue worked out.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the font looks?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: Fonts look like hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian
    I'm trying to get the fonts to look better on my Fedora 2/Gnome system. I want the "crisp" font look that XP has. I would like to have fonts without "font smoothing" or "anti-aliasing" but when I turn it off everything looks like crap.
    crisp? uhm... sorry, I'm not sure I user stand what you mean, are you talking about that thing they call ClearType -- the LCD trick which makes fonts look sharper. This feature has been present in linux for some time now (iirc long before "somebody" implemented it in "someOS" and anounced it like it was something new by them), and afaik it's usually a setting which you can configure via the window manager (KDE, GNOME, xfce4, etc).
    And the activation/configuring of this setting varies from window manager to window manager, I'm not sure how to turn on this feature but iirc it's under the settings app that has an icon that looks like it's font realated (iirc it's two "A"'s on a button like thingy)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply.

I'm not interested in "clear type". I just want the fonts to look good with anti-aliasing turned off. Anti-aliasing slightly blurs the fonts and makes them appear kind of bold.

when I turn off anti-aliasing... everything looks terrible.

I've made some progress... when I select a "fixed font" it looks a look better. now I just need to find a decent fixed font besides the wide-space one that is installed on my system.

why do fonts scale so bad in Linux?