Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I did a search for this topic but found too many results to thumb through, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered in another topic. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Playing .mp3's from cd burnt in Windows

Hey, I did a search for this topic but found too many results to thumb through, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered in another topic.

I recently made the switch from Winblows :P to Linux, and am loving it so far. Before I made the switch, I burnt all my .mp3's to a CD, I installed XMMS in Linux to be able to play the .mp3's but when I copy the .mp3's to my /home folder, or any for that matter, I still can't play them. Anyone know what I should do? Or did wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Also, if anyone could tell me how to view .jpg's in Linux, I'd appreciate that also

Re: Playing .mp3's from cd burnt in Windows

Quote Originally Posted by n0w1amn0thing
    Hey, I did a search for this topic but found too many results to thumb through, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered in another topic.

I recently made the switch from Winblows :P to Linux, and am loving it so far. Before I made the switch, I burnt all my .mp3's to a CD, I installed XMMS in Linux to be able to play the .mp3's but when I copy the .mp3's to my /home folder, or any for that matter, I still can't play them. Anyone know what I should do? Or did wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Also, if anyone could tell me how to view .jpg's in Linux, I'd appreciate that also
    xmms removed mp3 support I believe due to fraenhoffer copyrights (so they don't have to pay royalties) you need to get the addon xmms-mp3
    check my sig, makes installing things much easier.

jpg?? doesn't gimp work for that?? (sorry, not at a linux machine right now) also, doesn't firefox/mozilla view jpg???

Linux User
    As already stated xmms needs a plug-in for mp3 support. Do a google search for "mp3 on linux" or "mp3 for xmms" and you will find a link to the mp3 plug-in for xmms.

Gimp will work, but it's kind of overkill to start it up just to look at a jpeg. And firefox/mozilla isn't the most user friendly to open one or more jpegs on the hard drive. But from your profile it looks like you are running RH9, if so see if you have gqview installed. There's probably an icon in the graphics program group or you can just open up a terminal and try and run it from there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by logan5
    As already stated xmms needs a plug-in for mp3 support. Do a google search for "mp3 on linux" or "mp3 for xmms" and you will find a link to the mp3 plug-in for xmms.

Gimp will work, but it's kind of overkill to start it up just to look at a jpeg. And firefox/mozilla isn't the most user friendly to open one or more jpegs on the hard drive. But from your profile it looks like you are running RH9, if so see if you have gqview installed. There's probably an icon in the graphics program group or you can just open up a terminal and try and run it from there.
    Cool thanks !

I am able to open certain .jpg's but my friend sent me some in an e-mail and I can't view those.. they're all .jpg format, so I'm not sure what's wrong w/ them.

they might be in some 'newer' jpeg format (maybe they include so called EXIF tags - which some digital cameras add, it's a sort of meta data about the images, eg exposure time, shutter size)

for a plain viewer I'd recomend either "Eye of Gnome" or "ee" both are just image viewers and afaik they should handle jpegs with EXIF (they handle images from my camera fine).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.