Find the answer to your Linux question:
In Fedora Core 2 with GNOME, I used the display options GUI utility to change the graphics card option from "Intel 845" (which was autodetected by Fedora) to something else ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Graphics card changed wrongly so that X Windows cannot start

In Fedora Core 2 with GNOME, I used the display options GUI utility to change the graphics card option from "Intel 845" (which was autodetected by Fedora) to something else by mistake. Now, X Windows refuses to start, so I cannot change it back with the GUI.

How can I use the command line to change my graphics card back so that X will start?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    Use a text editor to change the "device" section driver of XF86Config or XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf (use whatever is appropriate for your system) to your correct driver.

Failing that try running xf86config or xf86setup (or equivalent one for xorg) as root
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    Check and see if an automatic backup file in /etc/X11 was made of whatever file controls the gui. If so rename.

OR

Use a text editor to change the "device" section driver of XF86Config or XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf (use whatever is appropriate for your system) to your correct driver.

OR

Failing that try running xf86config or xf86setup (or equivalent one for xorg) as root
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Check and see if an automatic backup file in /etc/X11 was made of whatever file controls the gui. If so rename.
    Thanks, that worked. I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which replaced the "Intel Express 3D AGP" line in the configuration file with "Intel 845" (I double-checked).

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.choi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Thanks, that worked. I copied /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which replaced the "Intel Express 3D AGP" line in the configuration file with "Intel 845" (I double-checked).
    Lansbury's Lido