Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to set up a simple file server for a network. Can someone post a link, or give me a complete walkthough? First I should explain that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

complete file share server tutorial please.

I am trying to set up a simple file server for a network. Can someone post a link, or give me a complete walkthough?

First I should explain that I have been expirimenting with samba. From a windows computer It displays the server as "Localhost", which I did not like. Just to check it I tried to open it but got some error that stated "localhost" was already being used on the network. I tried to rename it but i couldnt get that to work either. On the server I can in fact get to the shared folder on the server, but not on any other computer (which would make sense because of the network confliction). So starting from scratch, how should I go about setting up a fileshareing server? Does anyone have a perfered alternative to samba?

Thanks.

Linux User
    Hello gosia, there's a complete samba book available online from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/. This is a comprehensive material, and I'm not sure whether you like, but give it a try. Good luck.
    "I don't know what I'm running from
    And I don't know where I'm running to
    There's something deep and strange inside of me I see"