Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, We have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 running on all our machines and planning to make one machine as a YUM repository server. Using yum utility the rest of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Register with Red Hat Network?

Hi,

We have Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 running on all our machines and planning to make one machine as a YUM repository server. Using yum utility the rest of the RHEL machines should be able to get the latest patches/ packages.

Done a POC with the packages available in RHEL 5.3 DVD – created a local YUM repo server and distributed the packages to other client machines using yum install.

Info required:
    1. How to get RHN license/subscription? How to register our machine?
    2. How to make one machine to connect to Red Hat Network to get the latest packages/patches and distribute to rest of the client machines?

Please let me know the requirements to complete the above job.

Warm regards,
    Uday

Linux Guru
    1) You purchase an RHN subscription from RedHat.
    2) You create an RHN Satellite server which requires a satellite license.

Just Joined!
    Registered with rhn.redhat.com website. Is there anyway we can get some evaluation subscription for 30days. How exactly our machine registered with RHN? please explain bit more clear.

we don't want to use satellite server as there are just 10-20 linux machines. we will use YUM instead.

Please give me some clear steps on this. Thanks in advance.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

How-to configure RHN for a Linux machine?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Once we get a subscription (activation key), how to register a RHEL machine with RHN?

Which port to be open on my RHEL machine? How exactly it will connect to Red Hat Network?

Please give me some steps.

Regards,
    Uday

You need a license to get updates from red hat, period. If you do not want to pay for a license, then I suggest you look into www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by uday123 View Post
    Registered with rhn.redhat.com website. Is there anyway we can get some evaluation subscription for 30days. How exactly our machine registered with RHN? please explain bit more clear.
    You can read RedHat's website and/or contact them.

Just Joined!
    I have gone through the RedHat links and activated the evaluation Key (for 30days) on RHN website.

I want to know the configurations required on my Linux machine to connect with Red Hat Network.

I am able to access the Internet from my Linux machine. Tried running the command rhn_register but got a Fatal error: We can’t contact Red Hat Network server. Double check the location provided –is ‘htp://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC’ correct? If not, you can correct it and try again.

Tried updating the file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date with serverURL, proxyPassword, ProxyUser parameters which I used for my internet connection on Linux machine. But still I am getting the same error.

OS running: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3

Please help me.

Unhappy

well i'm seeking the same thing here too
    i tried to hook up to windows box and i tried in the dos prompt (ipconfig) then i paste the result in the same console
    the linux machine was configured
    but when i hooked to limux and tried the (ifconfig) instruction ,in the terminal
    the ethernet interface doesn't work properly
    so u can try the same and see the result
    maybe someone gonna help us out